Definition of Shank
Shank: 1. In anatomy, the tibia, the larger bone in the lower leg. The term is rarely used in this sense today.
2. In a culinary sense, the foreleg of a four-legged animal as, for example, a lamb shank. The shank is flavorful but tough (due to connective tissue) and therefore needs long slow cooking.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence