Definition of Facultative
Facultative: 1. In general, not obligatory but rather capable of adapting to different conditions.
2. In bacteriology, bacteria that can grow under either aerobic or anaerobic circumstances (with or without oxygen).
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Drug Medical Dictionary of Terms by Letter
Medical Dictionary Term:
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence