Definition of Materteral
Materteral: 1. Literally, relating to a maternal aunt.
2. Figuratively, suggestive of an aunt on either side of the family. 3 In medical genetics, pertaining to an aunt. An materteral relationship is the genetic relationship between aunts and their nieces and nephews. Materteral is synonymous with materterine. From the Latin matertera meaning maternal aunt, from mater meaning mother. The feminine counterpart of avuncular (like an uncle).
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence