Definition of Diffuse mastocytosis
Diffuse mastocytosis: A form of mastocytosis in which the entire skin is thickened and leathery with generalized reddening and intense pruritus (itching) due to widespread infiltration of the skin with mast cells.
Treatment may include antihistamines, drugs to reduce stomach acid, migraine headache drugs for headache, and cromolyn for bowel symptoms.
Also called diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke