Definition of Ambiguous genitalia
Ambiguous genitalia: Genitalia that are neither typically female nor typically male. Also known as intersexual genitalia.
Girls (with a 46, XX chromosome constitution) can have virilized genitalia due to excess androgen action. Conversely, the genitalia in boys (with a 46, XY chromosome constitution) can appear undermasculinized or frankly feminized because of lack of androgen action.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.