Definition of Anlage
Anlage: 1. In biology, whatever precedes something else. 2. In embryology, a precursor or forerunner or a more mature structure. For example, the stomach anlage. 3. In psychoanalysis, a predisposition to a given trait or personality characteristic.
Borrowed directly from the German for a plan or arrangement, derived from the verb anlegen meaning "to lay on" in the sense of "to prepare or set up." The plural is anlagen. Sometimes anlage is used interchangeably with primordium.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.