Definition of Herpes simplex type 1
Herpes simplex type 1: A herpes virus that causes cold sores and fever blisters in and around the mouth. Here is a depiction of a typical fever blister caused by herpes simplex 1:
In rare cases, as when someone's immune system is severely compromised, this virus can cause infection of the brain (encephalitis), requiring intravenous therapy.
Herpes simplex type 1 is also known as human herpesvirus 1 (HHV-1).Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.