Definition of Typhoon
Typhoon: A regionally specific name for a strong tropical cyclone in the Northwest Pacific Ocean west of the dateline.
Other terms for precisely the same type of storm include hurricane (in the North Atlantic Ocean, the Northeast Pacific Ocean east of the dateline, or the South Pacific Ocean east of 160E), severe tropical cyclone (in the Southwest Pacific Ocean west of 160E or Southeast Indian Ocean east of 90E), severe cyclonic storm (in the North Indian Ocean) and tropical cyclone (in the Southwest Indian Ocean).
See: Hurricane supplies kit.MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence