Definition of Discordance
Discordance: 1. The presence of any given condition such as HIV in only one member of a couple. 2. In genetics, the presence of a phenotype such as asthma in only one members of a twin pair. 3. In clinical care, lack of agreement between physician and patient.
In all sense, disconcordance is as opposed to concordance. From dis- + the Latin concordare, to agree = not to agree.
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence