Definition of Triplet
Triplet: One of three, as:
1. One of three babies in a multiple birth. Or three animals gestated together.
2. In genetics, a set of three bases in DNA. Also called a codon. See: Crick-Brenner experiment.
3. In optics, a combination of three simple lenses cemented together.
The word triplet came into use in the mid-17th century. It was formed from triple, just as doublet was formed from double.
Last Editorial Review: 10/9/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence