Definition of Decompression
Decompression: 1. In general, the removal of pressure.
2. In surgery, a procedure to remove pressure on a structure, as in decompression of the spinal cord.
3. The lessening of atmospheric pressure on deep-sea divers returning to the surface, or on persons ascending to great heights.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- FDA Approves Daclizumab (Zinbryta ) for Multiple Sclerosis
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke