Definition of Autochthonous
Autochthonous: (Pronounced au-toch-tho-nous)
1. Native. Poison ivy is an autochthonous plant. 2. Found in the place where it formed. As an autochthonous thrombus. 3. From the same individual. As an autochthonous graft. Or autochthonous lymphocytes.
Autochthonous is the adjective and autochthon is the noun. From auto + the Greek chthon, the earth, soil = sprung from the earth or the soil itself.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence