Definition of Seborrhea
Seborrhea: A chronic inflammatory disease of the skin characterized by the accumulation of scales of greasy skin. There may be yellow crusted plaques that are itchy. Seborrhea often affects the scalp. Other sites include the face, ears, eyebrows and eyelids, umbilicus, and genitalia, Seborrhea of the scalp is commonly known as dandruff.
Treatment is with frequent use of dandruff shampoos and topical steroids if necessary. Also called seborrheic dermatitis.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.