Definition of Spina bifida cystica
Spina bifida cystica: A bony defect in the vertebral column that causes a cleft in that column. The meningeal membranes that cover the spinal cord and part of the spinal cord protrude through this cleft, and are clearly visible. The opening can be surgically repaired, usually shortly after birth. Some children will also need treatment for related problems, such as hydrocephalus.
Also known as meningomyelocele.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.