Definition of Lateral
Lateral: 1. In anatomy, the side of the body or a body part that is farther from the middle or center of the body. Typically,
lateral refers to the outer side of the body part, but it is also used to refer to the side of a body part. For example, when
referring to the knee, lateral refers to the side of the
knee farthest from the opposite knee. The opposite of lateral is medial.
2. In radiology, slang for a lateral X-ray.
For a more complete listing of terms used in medicine for spatial orientation, please see the entry to "Anatomic Orientation Terms".Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence