Definition of Syndrome, sick sinus
Syndrome, sick sinus: Symptoms of dizziness, confusion, fainting, and heart failure due to a problem with the sinus node of the heart, which acts as the body's natural pacemaker. If the sinus node is not functioning normally, it is reflected in an abnormally slow heart rate (bradycardia). This can cause poor pumping by the heart, which can impair the circulation.
Diagnosis is usually by electrocardiogram (EKG). Treatment includes medications, such as the class of drugs called calcium antagonists.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get the latest treatment options.