Definition of Axon
Axon: A long fiber of a nerve cell (a neuron) that acts somewhat like a fiber-optic cable carrying outgoing (efferent) messages.
The neuron sends electrical impulses from its cell body through the axon to target cells. Each nerve cell has one axon. An axon can be over 20 cm (a foot) in length, which for the human body is remarkably long.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get breaking medical news.