Definition of Meningitis, Kernig sign of
Meningitis, Kernig sign of: This clinical hallmark of
of the meninges, the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord, is tested for by having the
person lie supine (flat on the back), flex the thigh so
that it is at a right angle to the trunk, and completely extend the leg at
the knee joint. If the leg cannot be completely extended due to pain, this
is Kernig sign.
Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get breaking medical news.