Definition of R (symbol)
R (symbol): This much-used symbol has many meanings in medicine. They include:
- Respiration: a nurse's note of "R20" is shorthand for 20 respirations (breaths) per minute.
- Right: A doctor's note of a burn on the "R digit 5" places the burn on the right little finger or toe.
- Roentgen, an international unit of X-radiation or gamma-radiation.
- In chemistry, a radical.
- On a prescription, R (or Rx), recipe, which is Latin for "to take".
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Drug Medical Dictionary of Terms by Letter
Medical Dictionary Term:
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence