Definition of Leg, ankle and foot bones
Leg, ankle and foot bones: There are 62 lower extremity bones. They consist of 10 hip and leg, 14 ankle and 38 foot bones.
- The 10 hip and leg bones are the innominate or hip bone (fusion of the ilium, ischium, and pubis), femur, tibia, fibula, and patella (kneecap) on each side.
- The 14 ankle bones are the talus, calcaneus (heel bone), navicular, cuboid, internal cuneiform, middle cuneiform, and external cuneiform on each side.
- The 38 foot bones are the 10 metatarsals and 28 phalanges (toe bones).
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Drug Medical Dictionary of Terms by Letter
Medical Dictionary Term:
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence