Definition of Atrial flutter
Atrial flutter: Well-organized but overly rapid contractions of the atrium of the heart (usually at a rate of 250-350 contractions per minute).
Flutter refers to a rapid vibration or pulsation. The difference between flutter and fibrillation is that flutter is well organized while fibrillation is not. Atrial flutter is a serious and potentially unstable rhythm of the heart.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 5/13/2016
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Get the latest treatment options.