Definition of Endometrial ablation
Endometrial ablation: Removal of the lining of the womb. Removing the uterine lining decreases menstrual flow or stops it completely.
The endometrium is the inner layer of the uterus (womb), the uterine lining which is normally shed monthly in response to the hormonal changes of the menstrual cycle resulting in a menstrual "period.".
Ablation means removal or excision, usually surgically. The word comes from the Latin ablatum meaning to carry away.Source: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Top RxList Drug News
- First US Case of E coli Resistant to Last-Resort Antibiotic
- FDA Approves Afstyla for Adults, Children With Hemophilia A
- FDA Approves New Diagnostic Imaging Agent to Detect Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Drug Targeting Blood-Brain Barrier 'Hopeful' in Stroke
- FDA Approves Probuphine Implant for Opioid Dependence
Find out what women really need.