Abilify User Reviews

Abilify - User Reviews

Abilify User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Abilify sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: TragicallyUninformed, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: November 16

At 14 our son began taking Concerta for ADHD. At 16 our son was diagnosed as Bipolar and began taking Trileptal. At the age of 17 Abilify was added. After taking Abilify along with Trileptal and Concerta for several months the dosage of Abilify was increased from 5mg to 10mg. Sadly within 36 hours (Friday pm to Sunday am) he committed suicide. After the tragedy had occurred two people came forward to tell us that he had complained that his medication was making him feel unstable. In retrospect we recall that there was a noticeable increase in volatility within just 24 hours. The event that triggered suicide occurred 36 hours after the increase, when he wrecked his car. When he arrived home after wrecking his car it was apparent that he was not himself. He was extremely agitated and irrational and within 10 minutes had taken his life. Although we were taken aback by the increase in mood swings, we did not associate his behavior with the increase of his medication. I believe this tragedy may have been avoided if the Dr. prescribing this med had clearly informed us of the warning signs associated with the increase in dosage. When we notified the Dr. of the tragedy his response was shock and disbelief. He stated that he believed our son was "doing so well". It seems apparent to me that the doctor had become comfortable in his Dr/Patient relationship with our son and therefore may have minimized the warnings and risks associated with Abilify when taken by teens. My intention is not to place blame but rather to highlight the need for better communication between Dr's and both patients and parents. Warning signs and side effects should be clearly stated each time there is a change/increase regardless of the length of time the patient has been taking the medication.

Related Reading: Concerta | ADHD | Trileptal

Comment from: RLSBIRDIE1@AOL.COM, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 17

I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT ABILIFY. IT CHANGED MY WHOLE LIFE FOR THE BETTER. I USED TO CRY EVERY DAY FOR 6 YEARS IN THE MORNING, NOT ANY MORE. I AM HAPPY WANT TO GO PLACES. IM NOT HAVEING AS MUCH ANXIETY. IT IS WONDERFUL.I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON.IM EVEN DRESSING NICE EVERY DAY, INSTEAD OF STAYING IN MY PJ'S HALF THE DAY.AND I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP ALL THE TIME. I HAVE A LOT MORE ENERGY. IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT HOLIDAYS.AND IM FEEL LIKE GETTING UP IN THE MORNING. I FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT THEIR INSURANCE WILL NOT PAY FOR IT .

Related Reading: SLEEP

Comment from: momc, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been dealing with issues of mood disorder, bipolar, depression for a long time. Found new psychiatrist. Been on Zoloft 150mg/day and he added abilify 5mg at bedtime. I feel great! Havent been so moody, or sad, or any of those bad feelings I always felt. Energy is back, I am laughing and enjoying things again!!!!!!!

Related Reading: Zoloft

Comment from: happy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 26

This medicine rocks! I take it with Cymbalta and I feel like my old self. I have more energy, I like to do what I used to and I sleep better. I feel amazing and I have no side effects. I could not of had a better experience.

Comment from: juzwonderin, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 04

I've been on Abilify for two weeks along with 200 mg of Zoloft, and 200 mg of Trazadone at night. I also take Xanax ( 1 mg) 4 x daily, Soma, 3-4 daily, Percocets 4 daily. I have been through alot of stress over the past 18 months, and tried to comment suicide. My daughter was in the car wreck with me that has disabled me for life, and she has her arotic & mitral valve replaced. Things for my daughter have not gotten better. Just last year she had over 80 blood transfusions, among other things. The car wreck left me with 7 broken ribs, two budgling discs, torn ligaments, and a broken hand that no one ever noticed.I am completely disabled in my left arm & hand. I had a collasped lung, and a big hole in my arm. Zoloft worked for awhile, then my Dr. added Abilify and I feel its made a word of difference. I now look forward to doing things. I haven't done anything but go to the doctors, hospitals with my daughter. The rest of the days I stayed in my Pjs and in a dark room and cried all the time. I still can't run a marathron, and have to be VERY careful with daily activeties. I'm not going to say that I'm never depressed, because that would be a lie, but life is truely getting better. I have no insurance for myself, so I can't get the medical attention I need for my discs and neuropothy and broken hand. I wish everyone the best, give the medicine a chance.

Related Reading: Soma | stress | suicide

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

THIS MEDICATION ALMOST HAD ME CRAZY. I'M NOT BIPOLAR OR SCHIZOPHRENIC. I WAS GIVEN THIS MED TO HELP WITH DEPRESSION AND IT MADE ME SO MUCH WORSE. I THINK DOCTORS OUT SIDE OF PSHYCHIATRIC PRACTICE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO PRESCRIBE THIS MED. I FELT LIKE A ZOMBIE. I HAD CONFUSION, WAS UNABLE TO FOCUS OR CONCENTRATE. I DID UNCHARACTERIST THINGS FOR ME,FORGETTING THINGS,LOSING WALLET AND KEYS, THESE ARE THINGS I DON'T DO. I WAS UNABLE TO WORK,UNABLE TO MAINTAIN MY HOME IN MY NORMAL FASHION. I FELT COMPLETELY ABNORMAL, LIKE I WAS GOING TO JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN. WHEN I WAS STANDING I WANTED TO SIT, WHEN I WAS SITTING I WANTED TO STAND. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I HAVE BEEN OFF ABILIFY FOR 3 DAYS NOW AND ALREADY FEEL SOMEWHAT BETTER BUT I'M NOT BACK 100%. PLEASE EDUCATE PHYSICIANS THAT THIS IS NOT A MED TO PLAY AROUND WITH ON THEIR PATIENTS. THANK YOU