Accutane User Reviews

Accutane - User Reviews

Accutane User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Accutane sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: November 15

This drug is effective at treating acne. No Question. Its amazing at acomplishing these ends. Period. That being said, Accutane is all about trade offs. You will have side effects. You well almost certainly have: extreme dry / fraglie skin, wickedly dry / cracked lips. This I can almost promise. Other side effects that I personally believe are attributable to my using Accutane: several ingrown toe nails, watery itchy eyes, mild nose bleeds, itchy scalp and hair shedding, muscle ache thus decresed athletic capability. Keep in mind that you may have to take more than one round of Accutane to reach the desired results. I took two, close together. I believe the benefits and side effects compound with each successive round. The bottom line. It works. I've been ance free for years since completing treatment (though my acne was not nearly as severe as most on Accutane). The side effects have also lasted to some extent. Many years later, I still have far more frigile / dry skin compared to before treatment. Scalp itch, hair loss, and very dry itchy eyes has continued. My advice... very carefully weigh the costs and benefits before treatment. There will be side effects, some will potentially be unpredicable and / or undocumented. Pay close attention to your body during treatment and communicate clearly with your doc about side effects / complications. Don't be blinded by the positives of clear skin, if the rest of your body is being subjected to huge stress / side effects. Keep in mind that some of these side effects may last and docs may not be able to do anything about it. Also, I've heard that Accutane is still effective, but with fewer side effects, if taken at a lower dose over a longer period of time (but same total dose over the course of the treatment). If concerned about side effects, you may want to ask your doc if this is true. Good luck!

Related Reading: acne | Accutane | dry skin

Comment from: Bride to be, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 03

23yr old female I have had severe and horrible acne since I was in 4th grade! My 4th grade teacher even sent me to the nurses office for chicken pox. How emberassing! Iam almost 24 now. I just started accutane 4 months ago. I read on here that a lot of people were really bothered by the side effects. The first month was the worst, super dry skin & super dry lips. But for me having acne my whole life, I really didnt care about any of the side effects. All you need is a good moisturizer and a gentle face wash (I use redness relief from Eucerin). Ohh yeah and blistex or carmex. None of that fruity stuff. I have one more month of accutane to take. The last time I saw my skin this clear I was in the 3rd grade!!! I had it on my back, chest, shoulders, arms, and of course my face! I decided every day on what to wear by where, and how bad I was broken out. It was such a depresesing, and emberassing feeling. Bathing suit season was horrifying. I had to find tops to cover up my back. Anyways this is the best thing thats happened to me. I feel like a completely different person. More confident, and more free to live life how others do.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

If you have severe acne think hard before getting on accutane. It made me disoriented,i could not concentrate at all, it also had severe mental effects and also my mood was altered one second to the next. My sleep was non-existent! i actually had to drop all my classes in college for the semester.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 08

After years of topical drugs and creams combined with different Tetracycline regiments, a prescription antibiotic, I had had very little success and needed results. Although I was somewhat apprehensive, due to the effects of high doses of Vitamin A (Accutane) on one's liver, I made the decision with my dermatologist to begin a 5 month cycle (20mg in the morning and 40mg at night). Studies have shown that if you monitor your diet and avoid pills or foods rich in Vitamin A, there are no effects of Accutane (in moderate doses) on your liver. Besides, life is too short to live hiding behind your acne in a world of insecurity. Within three days I was experiencing the common side effect of dryness over my entire body. Religiously moisturizing and keeping ChapStick by your side, at all times, minimized the dryness and made it very manageable. A few days later and my acne had just about disappeared. Luckily my dermatologist had warned me of an inevitable flare-up to come. About four weeks in and sure enough I had one of the worst break-outs in years that lasted about an entire month. Starting my 3rd month I had the best skin of my life! My dermatologist made it clear that it was still necessary to finish the 5 month cycle to ensure I maintain the results. It has now been one month since my last dose of Accutane and my skin is beautiful and the side effects are completely gone. This drug saved my social life and my career and was well worth the minimal suffering…I hope this helps and good luck!

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 04

This medication ruined my life. Caused severe mood disorders and anxiety over appearance that was uncontrollable, also made all of my hair fall out at 21 years old. If you feel any of this early on I HIGHLY advise getting off of it its not worth the trouble in the end.

Related Reading: anxiety