Accutane User Reviews

Accutane - User Reviews

Accutane User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Accutane sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 21

Medication did clear my skin, but I developed changes in cholestrol, blood sugars and digestive problems. I developed diabetes within 1 year of taking the medication, at age 23.

Related Reading: diabetes

Comment from: Eileen_RN, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been suffering with Acne since I was in the 4th grade. I am now 30 years old. I have tried it all and was told by my Dermatologist Accutane was the way to go. I was very skeptical in trying this drug, but I thought "I'm young, healthy and done having children, let's try it." It worked very well for the first month, but when I first had my liver function tests drawn, they were high, so high in fact, I was taken off and referred to a Gastroenterologist. It has been 9 months now and my liver enzymes remain elevated and now I'm having to have a liver biopsy. This drug may have caused me to have very serious health problems. Please think long and hard before trying this medication. It could cause lifelong hardships!!!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm 32. I took Accutane when I was 22 for nodular/cystic acne. The treatment worked for 10 years, which is what my doctor told me. About 3 months ago, I started getting cystic acne again. My skin was always beautiful before my early twenties and Accutane gave that back to me. I had side effects that the doctor didn't mention such as: severe nose bleeds every single morning; my lips broke out in a herpes like rash and once the rash healed, I had no pigmentation in my lips (I'm african-american); and I did have the decreased night vision. All in all, it was worth it. I go back to the dermatologist on Monday and plan to ask for the Accutane treatment again. 4-5 months of the side effects I had versus 10 years of beautiful skin - I can deal with it!

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: happyandclear, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 21

I had your general run of the mill cystic acne. Growing up I never even had a pimple. Then I had children. Don't get me wrong I love my children more than life itself. But the acne that came along with that were not pleasing. I kept telling myself it will go away but it never did. I tried everything creams, ointments, antibiotics (never would recommend that), scrubs, etc. You name it I tried it. I ended up changing dermatologists and found one that I adore. He immediately started the accutane regiment and did warn me of the side effects that can come along with it. All in all I love the medication (being one of those people that hates to take medicine)! I have had nothing but great results! Within one month my acne was gone. I am now on my third month of treatment and wouldn't change it for anything. I have had of course the dry skin on my face, arms, and lips. I use Cetaphil cleansing bar to wash my face and CeraVe to moisturize. I also use Aquaphor for my dry lips. I was really worried after reading all of the reviews on here but the side effects I suffered from other treatments were way worse. Accutane has allowed me to have beautiful skin once again!!!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 10

Accutane worked wonders for my skin. I battled acne from the age of 13, tried every topical and antibiotic out there, and didn't find relief until accutane at age 25. After the treatment, my skin looked amazing and friends and coworkers even commented on how clear my skin was not knowing what I had done. What my doctors didn't mention is that for women, you must remain on a prescribed topical treatment during your course of accutane and forever thereafter until menopause because of our hormones and sebum production. If you don't adequately keep your pores clean after completing accutane, your problems will come back. Unfortunately, I wasn't put on any sort of plan other than using Neutrogena face wash and my acne returned at age 27, now 28. I am taking the generic Sotret this time around and hope it works as well as accutane because it is significantly less expensive. This time, I will stay on prescribed topicals throughout and after treatment and would advise any other women to do the same so that you don't have to repeat the process. As you know, ipledge does not make it easy for women to get treatment, and in fact, is an unfortunate deterrent in my opinion. One last tip - Aquaphor is the best ointment I found for dryness. You can use it on your lips, skin, and even inside your nose to prevent nosebleeds. A thick coating left on over a night or two heals skin like a charm. And I always keep some in my purse to reapply during the day.

Related Reading: menopause | Sotret

Comment from: VTALLISON, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 02

MY DAUGHTER IS 15. AFTER 6 WEEKS SHE DEVELOPED HIGH TRIGLICERIDES AND TYPE 1 DIABETES! THIS WAS NOT WORTH THE RISK. HER SKIN CLEARED UP ABOUT 50% IN THAT SHORT TIME BUT NOW IS INSULIN DEPENDENT FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE. ALSO HORRIBLY CRACKED LIPS AND ITCHY SKIN. PLEASE BEWARE!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

I took accutane seven years ago and it cleared up my acne 100%! I NEVER get any acne on my back anymore and rarely get a small break out on my face. Accutane was only slightly difficult to use due to the potential side effects - and the monthly testing that went along with it to monitor cholesterol and liver functions. I do wonder if there are any undiscovered long-term negative effects...I cannot find anything on this site.

Related Reading: cholesterol