Accutane User Reviews

Accutane - User Reviews

Accutane User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Accutane sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: clearnow, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 01

I started accutane due to the deep painful nodules that I would get (adult onset acne). These spots would not heal, and would set off my glands requiring antibiotics. Once referred to a dermatologist, none of the specialized antibiotics we tried worked. I have been on accutane for almost 5 months now with about 2.5 left to go. I usually take 1 40mg pill a day, with 2 months of 60mgs a day. I experienced every side effect known to man: Dry scalp/eyes/nose (also blowing out blood each time I blow my nose), dry lips, ears flushing bright red, the “accutane hand rash”, elbow pain, back pain, rib pain, and joint/muscle pain, oh and my personal favorite: rectal bleeding. In most cases, these side effects would come on strong and almost cause me to stop the medicine, but then they would fade away. I still have the dry eyes/lips/scalp, and also the joint pain (I walk like an old lady sometimes!) I have remained on accutane and I am glad that I have worked through it so far. I do not have any outbreaks AT ALL, not even during PMS. I wake up each morning and look in the mirror to see unbroken skin (except for my scars!) Nothing on my face hurts. Nothing breaks open and bleeds when I wash and dry my face. I never worry that people are talking to me but looking at my zits. It is WONDERFUL! I hope I can make it through the last few months and I am definitely counting down. I recommend this drug with caution. Be aware that there are lots of side effects and some of them can be very disruptive. I take my glucosamine for my joints, and even take more than normal while I am on accutane. I take biotin at night to help prevent hair loss, and I use aquaphor all the time. I carry a small tube in my pocket for my lips, and at night I smear it inside my nose, on my hands, and on my lips. Drink water water water! I can't stress the importance of water enough! Eat prunes and KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CARE DR IN THE LOOP!! Overall I recommend, but buckle up for the ride.

Related Reading: elbow pain | muscle pain | dry eyes

Comment from: kt, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 14

I really wanted to be able to take Accutane because I started seeing results in the first few days. But after the first week, I became VERY ill. I experienced headaches, dizziness, insomnia, heart palpiltations, tremors in my right hand, diarrhea, black stools and burning with urination. I told my doctor and he said to stop immediately. Some people are very sensitive to this drug!

Related Reading: dizziness | insomnia | tremors

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 29

I took the medication, Accutane, when I was 16. The results were amazing. I had severe acne and nothing worked to clear it up. I had a 6 month treatment. They tested my liver each month in case of certain possible side effects. The drug is very effective. However I experienced severe chapped lips, to the point they would often bleed. Also, not aware of ALL the possible side effects until 4 years after the treatment I may have suffered possible psychological side effects. I would become severely irrational at times. I had bouts of depression, anger, and was very close to committing suicide mid-treatment. These I attributed to normal teenage angst, However I have not experienced these pre or post-treatment. I caution anyone considering taking the medication. Please request a list of ANY and ALL possible side effects. Talk with your primary care physician and your dermatologist. Do not make the decision lightly. I am 22 now and have perfect skin, but I'm not sure at what cost.

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: ediblecrayons, 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 30

This is my second time being on accutane. I started with it at the age of 13 or 14, and was on it for 6 months or so. but once i got off it, it returned. i started on accutane again when i was 16. it didnt do anything for a few months, and now im taking 120mg a day and still breaking out. my lips peel and are incredibly sore, my nose bleeds and is very painful. i have a horrible rash on my arms that is itchy, and when i scratch, it bleeds and i have hidious scabs all over my arms. my eyes are dry and i recently went to the eye doctor, who said the surface of my eyes are damaged from the accutane. i also have more serious side effects. im depressed, anxious, and have horrible mood swings. i used to be happy ALL the time. now i could care less, and would rather stay at home. im still on the accutane because i dont want acne. i've been on it for about 6 months now and i dont see the point in getting this far, and then stopping. that would leave me with my acne still, and i would have suffered all these horrible side effects for nothing? the side effects of accutane are HORRIBLE. i've had good results from my previous round of accutane, but my acne returned. i just want to take it long enough this time so this doesnt happen again. personally, i wouldnt do this again. i didnt want to do it a second time in the first place, but it was getting to the point where there were no other options. really try everything else you can before turning to accutane. the side effects are too bad.