Actonel User Reviews

Actonel - User Reviews

Actonel User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Actonel sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Florida Girl, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 05

GYN prescribed Actonel after a DEXASCAN (there was no vitamin D deficiency test, calcium level check or thyroid check). The nurse practitioner said every one of their patients had failed their DEXASCAN that day and were prescribed Actonel (how accurate was the DEXASCAN machine & how competent was the tech). The GYN gave me a free two-month supply of Actonel. I began taking Actonel once a week (on Sunday) in January 2005. Easy to take - I drank two full glasses of water with it just to be sure. By October 2006 my dentist referred me to a periodontist for severe unexplained gum recession. By June 2007 the gum recession was more severe. A bone/jaw scan done in 2000 was compared to a 2007 scan; periodontist stated I had severe bone loss & he could not repair the damage cause by Actonel until I stopped taking it for at least 4 years. He said Actonel stays in your body for 30+ years. I have been under periodontal care (every three months) since October 2006. His main concern: necrosis of the jaw. My other Actonel side effects: severe daily leg & foot cramps (charlie horses), atrial fibrillation (heart palpitations), severe headaches, dizziness, joint, bone & muscle pain, difficult & painful swallowing, cracking & popping of my cervical spine, hair loss & fatigue. My GYN refused to let me discontinue Actonel & maintained it was good for me. On July 1, 2011 I had an endoscopy (I have continual sore throats and LPR - reflux in my throat - and both Prilosec & Aciphex caused severe side-effects). The gastroenterologist found a gastric mucosal abnormality, erythema in the esophagus and hematin (altered blood/coffee-ground-like material) in the stomach. He also biopsied a polyp in the esophagus. If you are otherwise healthy (as I was before starting Actonel), please get a second opinion and request an alternate treatment to Actonel.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been taking (actonel) for 18 months after 1 year I started experiencing bone and joint pain mostly in knee and back lately it's my jaw bone also notice right eye has gotten blury. Yes it increased my bone density but is it worth all these problems was perfectly healthy prior to taking medication and I do not take any other medications.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 22

I took my first dose of 150mg on 11/19 felt fine until about 6pm chills and a fever of 102, terrible headache and back pain. Vomited once. Slept most of 11/20 and the back pain and headache were terrible. I will not take another pill of this!

Related Reading: fever | headache

Comment from: norma, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 02

Took the medication for the first time yesterday. After 24 hours I feel like I have the flu and have back pain as well. After reading all the reviews I realize these are side effects of the drug and I will not take it again. Life is too short to feel so sick

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: rose, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 25

35 year old female:My first dose of Actonel Saturday 10/25/08 8:00am. Was afraid to take it after reading the side effects, with good reason. I had no reaction all day Saturday, but come Sunday morning the pain in my body woke me up at about 6:00am. Felt like flu-like body aches which became extremely worse. By 9:00 am I could not move. It felt like I'd been run over by a truck and on top of that someone had beat me with a bat. Also had mild diahrrea stomach pain, fever and several other side effects. Called my Dr and she suggested taking a different drug the following month. Still afraid of taking other meds since they all have very similar side effects. I'm suppose to take my next dose tomorrow 11/25/08. Not looking forward to spending the Holidays in pain. Wondering if the benefits outweigh the risk.Or are side effects worse than having osteoporisis. Can't afford to be out of work 3 to 4 days each month. Trying to read all there is in terms of treatment, risks, and benefits to determine wether or not I will continue with the treatment.

Comment from: Wiley, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 23

After using Actonel for five years started having stiff fingers several months ago. Thought I'd sprained them. Now for the last month, I've had several muscle and joint pain. Wake up several times a night, taking ibuprofen. Finally figured it out it was the Actonel, now waiting for it to leave my system. Will never take it again!

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 05

After the first full month on Actonel, I began having some kind of reaction starting with a flushed feeling. It felt like millions of stabs of heat on my neck and arms resulting in very red skin and leaving a raised rash that looked like hives. I've had two other similar experiences...one not so bad but the other was much worse with the intense stabs of heat radiating to my scalp in addition to my arms and neck and chest. The last time I took the medicine I felt badly for the two days I took the medicine but felt better the day after. I have also experienced some slight joint pain. I have taken the medicine for only 4 months and have not spoken to my physician regarding this reaction.

Related Reading: rash | hives

Healthy Bones

Get tips and advances in treatment.