Actos User Reviews

Actos - User Reviews

Actos User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Actos sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: gr8t2bhere, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 24

I stopped taking 3 months ago as recommended by my endrocinologist and within a week lost 17 pounds! The stomach bloating, fatigue, severe unexplained edema of the feet, legs, hands and face has totally stopped and I fee great. My sugars did go up a bit but not enough for me to ever use this again! I can't tolerate the weight gain, pain, fatigue and swelling. Can't believe this is allowed to still be given to people and my doctors didn't seem to aware of the side effects which is disturbing or they didn't care. Kept attributing my swelling to sodium, my pain to my statin drug and my weight gain to my eating. My diet hasn't changed or my exercise level and since stopping this I have lost significant weight and all other symptoms disappeared. I have lost faith in my doctors. Do your own homework and keep speaking up - you know your own body and feelings. This has negatively impacted the quality of my life.

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: Timmy D, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 10

I asked my Doc to talk me off Avandia because of FDA warnings; started Actos a few weeks ago. I have defintely gained weight already and started having diffuse pain in my thighs. So I called an on-call Doc and he said to stop it and talk to my regular doctor. I did, and after a week, my pants started falling off me...seriously...and the thigh pain went away (it had been feeling like I had been doing heavy weights/leg extensions in the gym). So, then my regular doc finally go ahold of me and said to start it this weekend again, and if I started having problems, he'd switch me back to Avandia. Well, in just 2 days I can already feel a little pain in my thighs and I feel like my pep is being zapped. I'll call him tomorrow and switch back and take my chances with Avandia, which I had no problems with in the first place.

Related Reading: Avandia

Comment from: RogerDWald, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 06

Takes all energy away. can hardley move about. Dont want to get out of chair. Very dizzy anytime anywhere.

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: June 22

This drug gave my husband congestive heart failure please watch you feet and legs swelling my husband has been in the hospital twice in a month and they found out it was the drug that was causing it

Related Reading: congestive heart failure

Comment from: Divalucky7, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 11

My experience with this drug has been difficult you see, it does manage my blood sugar to within acceptable range. This is fine, but I have the most excruciating leg, knee, joint pain and extraordinary weight gain. I've tried to continue this regimine, but Actos makes it impossible for me to walk my dog, fit my wardrobe, and exist with the pain I feel. Two two month usage trials left me unable to continue. Had I known that it was the Actos which contributed to my pain I would have never tried it again.

Comment from: Meema, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 19

After being diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic, I thought removing most carbs and sugar from my diet would help me lose some weight, but much to my surprise, I started gaining pounds (almost 50 extra pounds in 4 years). My ankles were constantly swollen and the muscles in my leg never stopped aching and cramping; I could hardly walk. My doctor had a different diagnosis for every one of my complaints, from being told I had developed osteoarthritis to obesity (I weighed 153 lbs. at the time). He NEVER told me that weight gain, swollen ankles and sore leg muscles were all side effects of Actos, the prescription he had me taking for the last four years to treat my diabetes. When I started having severe chest pains and difficulty breathing, the cardiologist told me to discuss changing meds with my doctor. I'm now on Glucophage and I'm losing weight and feeling GREAT, and no more chest pains or swollen ankles :-) Before taking Actos, carefully study the side effects, and if you develop any of them, make sure you tell your doctor that you'd like something other than Actos. I think changing prescriptions helped save my life!

Related Reading: osteoarthritis | obesity | Glucophage

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been taking this medication for about a year and have experience swollen ankles, stiff fingers, tooth problems I didn't have before, weight gain of over 50 lbs that I can lose no matter how hard I try, muscle aches and breathing problems. My doctor put me on this medication because my sugar levels jumped to 200 after meals. I also take glipizide. I'm going to stop taking Actos for a couple of months and see if my problems disappear. If they do, then I'll stop taking the medicine completely. I'm tired of the mucles aches that cause me to be too tired to do any of the activities I enjoy doing.