Adderall XR User Reviews

Adderall XR - User Reviews

Adderall XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Adderall XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 23

I have ADD, not ADHD. I noticed a difference in my cognitive abilities almost immediately after using Adderall XR. The 30 mg capsule made my heart race, so my dosage was reduced to 25 mg. The ideal dose for me would probably be somewhere in between 25 mg and 30 mg. My symptoms gradually worsened over a period of 30+ years and resulted in multiple job losses, divorces and financial difficulties. I was not accurately diagnosed until age 45, although I had virtually all of the classic ADD symptoms dating back to childhood. About 5 or 6 years ago I actually wondered if I had some type of learning disability because I could not process a complete thought, could not retain spoken information or instructions, was unable to concentrate on any task, etc. Although I discussed this concern with my psychiatrist at the time, there was no mention of the possibility of ADD. I was given additional medication to treat my existing anxiety & depression, which did nothing to improve my ADD symptoms. However, on my first visit with a new psychiatrist several years later, I was given the diagnosis of ADD. Of course, it would have been great to have been accurately diagnosed and treated years ago, but I am grateful to have found help at all. I could have spent the rest of my life suffering if not for someone new taking a fresh look at my case.

Related Reading: ADHD | Adderall | anxiety

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 28

I call this my "wonder drug". In addition to ADHD-combination type, adult form, I also have depression and anxiety. I have tried numerous anti-depressants, with no lasting positive effects. Started AXR in Oct. 2006, and have since stopped all anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. I can focus at work, and at school, and have far fewer problems with racing thoughts/random thoughts. I am able to function now. I did try Strattera, but found it only put me to sleep (up to 14 hours a day!), so I went back on the Adderall and will not switch again. It has definitely changed my life-- for the better.

Related Reading: depression | Strattera | sleep

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

Adderall XR has been a significant medication in helping me focus, be more patient, and less angry due to frustration. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD at 47. This diagnosis certainly accounts for my behaviors and now is more clear. I truly felt like I have been cheated in life not being able to reach my potential, now better late than ever finding out the causes.

Comment from: jaime, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 30

My boyfriend is 100 percent dependant upon this drug. Although he claims it has changed his life by enabling him to focus at work. There is a severe downside to using this drug. He suffers from severe anxiety attacks, extreme mood swings, bursts of anger, lack of sex drive, depression, he is anti-social, he demonstrates obsessive compulsive disorder he suffers with extreme exhaustion, loss of appetite to binge eating. He can go from being emotionless to overly emotional. He suffers from convulsions during his sleep. His entire personality has changed since using this drug. It is very sad and disturbing to see him suffer this way. I do not recommend this drug to anyone.

Comment from: Anonymous, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 12

This drug is sometimes referred to as a 'wonder drug' to those who have not used it for a long term. This drug ,though very helpful for my ADHD has caused me to have serious side effects from the past 3 years of use. I have now some little tics every now and then. There are little manic episodes associated with the drug. I even have depressive anxiety disorder because of this drug. Though this drug is great to solve a short term problem it should not be allowed to be used for longer terms. I am almost afraid to take it sometimes because I don't know what will happen. Also the mood swings because of the addictiveness of this drug are terrible. As I come off of it I become angry at almost everything. There is a reason it was banned in Canada.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been on Adderall XR since it first came out. I have been taking meds for ADHD for 28 yrs now. I like Adderall XR because it lasted longer than the Ritalin, therefore I didn't have the up down up down feeling. Adderall is a smoother transition too. Of course it is not a cure all. I still watch what I eat, work on time management, and do the occasional talk therapy. I have also been the subject of multiple studies on ADHD since I was "raised on Ritalin" here it what I learned. I am more prone to Alcoholism, I am more prone to "falling in love", I am more prone to acting out my anger. Actions and feelings are easy impulses but my ADHD is not an excuse. My mind understands, what has been so hard is to delay the impulse whether I am on medication or on a medication vacation. I take 30mg of Adderall XR in the morning, 30 mg of ritalin in the afternoon, 80 mg of Straterra, and 300mg of Wellbutrin. All this Medication in one day so I take med vacations in order to lower my tolerance. Funny thing is I am only diagnosed with ADHD. Believe me Doctors have tried to find some other condition bc ADHD usually is combined with "something else" but I am a classic ADHD case. Getting meds for ADHD is easy now adays what is hard is taking responsibility for your treatment after your diagnosis. I quit drinking, have taken the anger and time management classes, and married a man I respected. I also don't use my ADHD as an excuse in my professional life, my employeers don't need to know my personal life. Finally Yoga has had a great affect on my ability to focus, HUGE. I hope the people who are ADHD make it clear to their Doctors that the H means hyperactive NOT manic. I have experienced too many non ADHD doctors who are ready to label and prescribe the newest "condition". I don't have much respect for the medical communities understanding of ADHD. All I know is that the medication is only one part of the equation, its the easy part. Good luck i hope i helped.

Related Reading: Ritalin | Alcoholism | Wellbutrin