Adderall XR User Reviews

Adderall XR - User Reviews

Adderall XR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Adderall XR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: concernedparent, on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 30

My 9 year old son was diagnosed with ADD. He was started on adderall xr 5mg for 1 mo. then increased to 10mg. It's been a total of 3mo. I think this is a perfect dose for him. We saw a difference the first day. He no longer "daydreams"or have trouble understanding what people say to him (we had his hearing tested, EEG's etc..). Homework went from 3-4 hrs. to 1-2hrs. and it's done correctly! Most of the time he's done it all before he gets home. His grades went from C's and D's to A's and B's in one marking period. The side effects I've noticed are dry mouth and sometimes he's irritable with his 6 year old sister and he used to be extremely tolerant (it actually seems more normal now). He's lost 4lbs but he can afford it because he was 77lbs. I was worried about the slow growth side effect, but he grew 1 in. since he started. I'm just not sure if I want him to take it during summer months or maybe I won't give it to him on the weekends. This is something I'll discuss with his doctor. It definetly works, it's just one of those things you wish you didn't have to do.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: juststartedadderall, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 23

So far I have only been on Adderall XR for about a week. The only side affects I've noticed are it seems like it takes me longer to fall asleep at night. I think the drug has helped me immensely, I have been taking 20mg of Lexapro for about 4 years now and it has helped with my anxiety but my head always felt clouded, I always felt like "my get up and go got up and went". I was always just sluggish and wanting to nap all the time. My attention span was always very short and I became bored with things very fast, I was constantly punishing myself for daydreaming and trying to make myself focus. The second day of being on Adderall XR was when I noticed the biggest differance, and it has been the same since starting. My thinking is SO MUCH clearer. The constant "background noise" of continuous thoughts is gone. I was afraid when I started the drug I would feel like I was on a caffeine overdose, but it's not like that at all. Your thoughts just clear, I even speak slower, I'm more focused on what is going on, I don't even think about taking a nap anymore, don't have a need to. Things that I used to constantly procrastinate on just get finished. Not only are you doing the things you didn't do before you have an enjoyment in doing them. I have always felt that I was an anxious child growing up and I think that A LOT of my anxiety problems as an adult were definitely related to my ADHD. So far I can't say anything bad about Adderall XR. I take one 25mg capsule in the morning, eat breakfast and go about my day. The only other medications I take are a multivitamin and a fish oil supplement at lunch and Lexapro 20mg before bed. I would highly recommend Adderall XR especially if you have anxiety and depression. Good luck to all.

Related Reading: Lexapro

Comment from: trailrider, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I've probably lived my entire 49 yrs with undiagnosed ADD, but over years of building defense mechanisms to compensate, it evolves into issues that don't fit the traditionally accepted symptoms. I was never hyperactive, don't currently have difficulty reading or focusing on specific tasks. I do however, tend to hyperfocus, don't like interruption and don't transition very easily. I also don't like a lot of activity and noise as that affects my ability to focus. At times, my mind is being barraged with a bunch of external and internal stimuli. It becomes too much and I will get irritable and react negatively to my family. It's not the way I feel inside, but it's all right on the surface trying to defend my focus. It has evolved into a degree of anxiety and depression about the inability to soften the impact of stimuli. I was starting to get more and more down, more withdrawn, and dark. I tried some of the anxiety/depression medication like Zoloft (a year and a half), but I felt more anxiety from them. I am not sure the Zoloft ever worked for me at all. I finally decided one day to try my daughter's Adderal (she also has ADD). The difference was significant. 80% of the negative stimuli dissipated and was replaced with positive feelings... confidence, patience, peace. Everything became more manageable and I felt a lot more normal. So after a couple months on Adderal XR25, it is working pretty well... not perfect, but a lot better. I also tried Focalin and was initially prescribed Vyvanse. The Vyvanse laid too heavy on me and I felt out-of-body. The Focalin was better, but the Adderal XR25 seemed the best fit. For adults, symptoms and issues around ADHD don't fit the traditional. The psych said adult ADHD is in the process of being redefined by the medical community.

Related Reading: Zoloft | Zoloft | Focalin

Comment from: Workinprogress, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 31

Besides helping me with Adult ADD, Adderall has helped decrease my depression and has completely eliminated my Fybromyalgia symptoms. I no longer have body aches or fatigue. I'm happy and sleep just fine. I am taking Master's classes for my degree in Education and am writing a novel.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: volunteerems18, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 29

I am a 35/F.I have been taking this medicine for about a year now and I am literally,in all aspects, a different person.when I 1st started taking it,I was 220lbs,I had the mental capacity of a puppy and just couldnt focus at all!Since then,I have lost 70lbs,can finally finish projects,instead of losing interest and I am finally comprehending things I read instead of them just going thru my eyes,across my brain and right back out my ear..This medicine has truely changed my life.The only downside for me, is I also suffer from insomnia and if I take my 2nd dose too late in the day, Im definately not sleeping for the night. I would reccomend it.

Related Reading: insomnia