Adderall User Reviews

Adderall - User Reviews

Adderall User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Adderall sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: dominoK, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 10

I am a 48 y.o university professor, - after years of frustration and depression because of my procrastination habits and, as I described it, a lack of engagement between my brain and my body. I finally went into therapy just over a year ago at the urging of my wife and was diagnosed with ADHD. I started taking Adderall about 8 months ago. I have found that Adderall is very effective at helping me to focus and listen. It helps me to be more deliberate in my actions, I'm not just drifting through the day. In my classroom I have found that I am able to listen to myself better and not be distracted by those students who give me that 'I'm so bored' look. One of the most interesting effects I've found is that I now actually hear and listen to the lyrics of songs! - never did that before. Looking back at my life, all the way to when I was 6 years old I now recognize the symptoms that had always been there. I feel that the treatment is working for me, but as my doctor says, the worst part is that I'm 48 and have only now finally taken care of a life-long problem. I take 30 mg. (15 mg standard 2 x a day). I did feel the side effects for about the first two or three days (teeth grinding and dry mouth) but they subsided and I don't have any issues with that now. I've lost a few pounds, but I love to eat and once I start eating, my appetite is fine. I know that I'll have to continue with this, probably for the rest of my life, but I think of it as a simple compound that my body chemistry is simply missing - so it helps me a lot. Finally I would say to those of you suffering horrible side effects, stop, and get another opinion! If the side effects are that bad, then you probably have a different problem. Amphetamines are an important drug that can work well for those who need it, but if you don't, you are abusing it. I thought that it would be like the speed we experimented with in high school, but it's not. It is an essential part of my life now, stigma or not -

Related Reading: depression | ADHD | Adderall

Comment from: dd, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a mental health therapist, and reading these reviews of Adderall makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I am also taking adderall, and know in my heart that I am addicted, and struggle with knowing this everyday. With not wanting to refill my script, but knowing that the addict in me will call my doctor and get a refill. Knowing that I will become emotionless and cold, sleepless and edgy, but with a clean house and unhappy children who don't understand why their mom is so tense and angry. I know that I will start having to take Zanax and Ambien to calm down at night, and that the divide between my husband and I will grow bigger. This medication helped me at first, it felt like legal meth. Because that is what it is. The sad thing is, I was working in the substance abuse field when I began by adderall journey. I am not saying that everyone will experience what I am going through, but my sister also has the exact same problems. While I thought we would be having cookouts and taking our kids to the park, instead we are swapping scripts and pills and cleaning tips. I caution everyone who is thinking about taking this drug to consider whether they can do it responsibly, and their family history of addiction. Reading these other reviews makes me feel much less alone, but also very sad that so many people are having these problems. I realize that I may need help to get off of it, but that is very hard when you work in the field that I do and your professional reputation is on the line. I use up my script in less than two weeks, and then have two weeks without it. The two weeks w/out it are so much better, but the addict in me never listens. Every month I think I can do it responsibly. I just wonder, when is it gonna be to much? I know the saying one is to many and a thousand is never enough. In my case, that is so true. Please be careful.

Related Reading: mental health | Ambien

Comment from: Niecie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 12

I am a 49 yr female... I always knew I was differrent. I felt like information went into my brain but went right out the other side. I would read, listen to a lecture or be in a conversation and end with no recollection of the information I was given. How was I to explain this to a doctor... I thought they would think I was crazy. I rehearsed over and over what I would say to them to make them believe there truely was a problem. How much easier it would be to go in and show them a cut, bruise or broken bone... they could fix it. How could they diagnose or fix a problem they couldn't see and I couldn't explain. I spent 7 years in and out of the doctors office. She first put me on prozac, treated me for an inter-ear infection, had me get all of my old fillings replaced, got glasses,treated me for allergies, etc. All these things were good but there was still something much more. She gave up, one day she said "I can't help you". Talk about a heart break and a validation that I was crazy. One day I read an ad on Straterra... explaining the symptoms of adult ADHD. I asked my doctor if there were special test for that. She said yes, as she rolled her eyes, but she would have to refer me to a shrink...here we ago again! The psycologist had me diagnosed in moments. No special tests were needed. The Straterra has helped for about 6 years now but there was still something more that I couldn't put my finger on. I have been going to doctors now for another 3 years to finally get one to take my extreme fatigue seriously. I took a sleep test and I have mild narcolepsy. My doctor has recently added adderall and I am finally content that what I have been silently struggling with all my life has been discovered and properly treated. I breaks my heart to pieces to think I raised my 3 children without this help. I struggled so badly just to make it through each day and hide my feelings of "stupidness". Now at almost 50, I feel like I have a clear mind...and a new start on life.

Related Reading: prozac | ear infection | adult ADHD