Adderall User Reviews

Adderall - User Reviews

Adderall User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Adderall sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 18

This drug has been a life saver for me. I am the typical ADD patient. My mind was racing in a hundred directions at once so I wasn't able to focus on anything. Addy helps me slow down and focus my brain enough to acutally complete the tasks I need to and to do it efficiently. Of course, in the beginning, I got a few side effects - dry mouth, appetite loss, diarrhea (dont take with coffee - TRUST ME), and some insomnia. I also found myself craving cigarettes for some odd reason. I found that if I ate a meal before taking it in the morning that it almost eliminated most of them. After a few months your body will get used to it. I DO recommend that if you don't need it on the weekends that you don't take it. That way, your body won't be as likely to get addicted to it. I've been taking it for 4 years and I LOVE IT.

Related Reading: dry mouth | diarrhea

Comment from: addrulz, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I was not able to focus, stay on tasks, my mind raced, etc. I was very iratated, anxious, no patience and not able to function like everyone else. I was extremely tired all the time. I would even suffer from depression and not know why. I was precribed Adderall and I am a totally different person now. I have been taking Adderall for over 2 yrs now and am able to function normally and am ready to go to sleep around 10pm everynite instead of having insomnia!!!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 26

Freshman yr of college i was diagnosed with ADD, the Inattentive kind. My experience with Adderall has been a love/hate relationship. I started on 20mg in a.m. & 10mg in p.m. It gave me more energy, made me mentally sharper & I felt normal & happier since I was more able to communicate & think clearly. I was happy.. at first. Then I noticed I could stay up WAY late. Then I'd sleep in & miss the classes I'd finally begun thoroughly doing the work for. Also, friends pointed out Id become irritable & mean at times. I agreed but was upset because of all the good adderall was doing for me otherwise. The tablets wore off later in the day, causing my moods. My prescriber recommended a higher dose, I agreed & I liked it, I was focused on getting my stuff done. STILL, I was.. cold, emotions were distant. IMPORTANT: check before you start this if theres a history of addictions to substances like alchohol etc in your family as this can really be HABIT-FORMING, as in my case. Also, Adderall doesnt allow refills. This was prob when back from out of state college & I had insurance- coverage issues, which forced me to go off adderall. DIFFICULT. I was SO tired, moreso than EVER before. felt like a moody addict & sad & like doing NOTHING.2nd day with no Adderall in my system, woke up during the night & threw up. Horrible & bizarre. BE CAREFUL, listen to your body's signs if on it. Try keeping lowest dose possible. Off adderall, I still had a job to get & chores ETC when just functioning was a task. Gained back the weight i'd lost, plus a few. After that I felt better each day, but back to my spacey, scattered & anxious self again. Caffiene helped, in big amts. Insurance is fixed, I caved & am back on it. They say you'll feel like a different person. Maybe, I feel my old Adderall self returning, more focused but mean. My family has noticed. Mom said i'm not my old self. & I fear I'm becoming dependent again. Im taking lower doses & may switch to Dexedrine or Adderall XR. Think.

Related Reading: Dexedrine

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 20

It was a wonder for me! I had spent tons of money in medical bills and doctors visits only to realize that what I was battleing with was adult ADHD. This hadn't been as much of a problem for me when I was younger until my job had changed drastically and I lost my ability to focus. Work was terrible and my performance was slipping which made me seem deppressed. Once I started on the medication, it has been like I am a different person. I don't give up on tasks, I complete them, I listen to people when they talk to me,and overall I accomplish the goals I set forth each day. Thank God my doctor finally listened when others did not.

Comment from: adhdmom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 03

My son and I both take AdderallXR for ADHD and have had great success with it. One of the benefits is that it is not jolting -- the effects ease in and when it wears off, it wears off gently. The greatest benefit, though, is that it took a much lower dosage to achieve the result that we got with Ritalin.

Related Reading: Ritalin

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 21

As an accomplished woman, I didn't know I had ADD until after middle age when increasing I couldn't complete tasks. Depression and loss of self esteem set in but once diagnosed and on medication I was able to slow down, concentrate and finish jobs. I never realized how my mind raced from subject to subject until I was on medication - 4 years now.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 26

It works, it really does. Unfortunately, I became HIGHLY ADDICTED to this medication. I am 21 and a university student and have been on adderall since i was 19. In just two years i developed a 100mg+ habit per day, ended up literally going crazy, cutting, attempting suicide, committed to a psychiatric hospital, and then drug and alcohol rehab. Since I kicked adderall, I have been just fine. Kids won't tell you anything is wrong, because it makes them feel so good they want it more. It severely disrupts eating habits (I lost 35lbs, and as a 5'2" female, that's a lot), sleeping habits, and overall mood. I also found a sharp decline in imagination and overall creativity. Irritability, dehydration, diarrhea, malnutrition, anemia, and withdrawals were part of my adderall use that was prescribed by a psychiatrist for ADHD. PLEASE, if you are a parent wondering if your kid should be on adderall (which is an amphetamine salt, which is the single purest form of SPEED), think again. Is it worth it in the long run? It is SPEED that you're messing with here- incredibly serious drug. There are many many more behavioral modifications that can be taught that are much more effective, and MUCH MUCH less detrimental to overall mental and physical health. NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: suicide | dehydration | anemia