Advicor User Reviews

Advicor - User Reviews

Advicor User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Advicor sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: garlamba, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 30

I developed flushing 1-2 hrs after taking this medication. To prevent the flushing I had to take ibuprofen every day about an hour before taking this medication. I also developed muscle pains all over and once this happened I discontinued the medication. The muscle pains disappeared within 48 hours after discontinuing Advicor.

Related Reading: ibuprofen | Advicor

Comment from: pgeorge_27, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 25

I am not over weight and I do not have high blood pressure, but I have had a stroke and multiple TIA's. This is the first medication to bring my cholesterol under 200, raise my good cholesterol to a healthy level, and it is the most natural cholesterol medication my doctor and I could agree on. I am impressed enough to keep taking it so I can bring my bad cholesterol down to a healthy level. My biggest cholesterol factors are genetics and dairy products, mostly cheese & eggs. I have reduced the amounts of these items I eat, but I can't give them up. The bedtime snack is hard for me so I usually drink a glass of skim milk.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | stroke | cholesterol

Comment from: wnssan, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 18

i was taking the drug every other day for about 15 days one morning i took it and 5 hours later my fack and neck was hot red and tingling wierd tingling sensation throughout my legs and arms. it was a horrible sensation. really bad headaches. i dont know why all of a sudden after 15-20 days i got a reaction except that i hadn't eaten that morning. constant muscle and back pain. not worth it

Comment from: ahwuo, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

I have very high cholesterol and was put on advicor 500/20. I was fine on this, but after my 3 month recheck, my doc raised the dosage to 1000/40. I had a very bad reaction to the dosage and wound up in the ER. I made my doc. put me on the 750/20 and I did fine on that. It still wasn't enough-my doc put me back on the 1000/40 and said that "it's tolerated better with gradual increases." True. i did fine on it the 2nd time around. Make sure to not to double the dosage or you might get really sick. Gradual increases is MUCH better!

Comment from: MILAN, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 26

ADVICOR HAS WORKED BETTER FOR ME THAN SOME OF THE OTHER DRUGS AVAILABLE

Comment from: loggerhead6, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 30

In terms of lowering cholesterol, this medication did a great job, my overall going to 150 from 225 and all the other numbers - HDL, LDL, etc. moving in the right directions and within their healthy ranges. So while that was great, the connection I never made was that it impacted my ability to have an erection. I did not correlate them until I ran out of the medication while traveling. I had had erectile issues for over a year, and had been given the usual drugs to try in that category. While they did work, it still did not make sense to me that 1)I almost never felt aroused and 2) even when I could achieve an erection (without the extra meds)it would dissipate during sex and 3)the skin on my scrotum would always remain loose and not tighten up during sex. So, I inadvertently ran out of Advicor during an extended trip. All of the "side effects" I had experienced disappeared within a few days. It was only then that I made the connection as nothing else in my regimen had changed. I still wasn't absolutely certain until I verified the possibility here on Web MD. Now I need to work with my doctor to find an alternative, but at this time I'm not going back to any statin drugs.

Comment from: srlshelt@aol.com, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 23

Flushing has been a big side effect of this drug for me and also not being able so sleep well.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 26

The flushing is awful. Never know when it is going to occur. Somedays there is flushing other days not. It often wakes me up. But the results on numbers has been great.

Comment from: elaine, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 07

After taking this for 6 months and attributing my horrible weakness, pain and uncontrollable eating, with 14 lb. weight gain, I discontinued 6 weeks ago and have gotten a small amount of muscle control and stamina back. I will never take this drug again. Also I'm not sure if this caused a significant problem with memory and brain fog, but this too is beginning to return.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.