Aldara User Reviews

Aldara - User Reviews

Aldara User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Aldara sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Rebecca, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 21

I was diagnosed with BCC on the left side of my nose in the fall of 2007 and underwent surgery. It recurred in 2009 again having surgery with cryosurgery (freezing). By May 2010 it recurred. I was tired of having surgery and I wanted the cancer gone, so I decided to try Aldara. I read the inset that came with it understanding that it is a topical chemotherapy that works with your immune system. I followed the directions exactly,using it for 6 weeks, 5 days of use with 2 days off, using the minimal amount to cover the area, leaving it on for no more than 8 hours and washing it off, staying out of the sun, and not covering it tightly when going out. But by week 3, I had a severe reaction with redness, swelling, oozing, bleeding, scabbing, crusting, itching, fatigue, headaches. It was bad and I almost quit. But the insert mentioned all these side effects, so I decided to cotinue. I am so glad I did. It is now 4 weeks after finishing the six week course and my skin looks so good and my dermatologist gave me an all clear/cancer gone. I wish I had used it when first diagnosed and I wouldn't have the scar from the previous two surgeries. I will use it again if I have any BCC in the future. But, I do believe it is a treatment only for the healthy as it does work with your immune system. From the many reviews I've read, it doesn't seem that a lot of the doctors are prescribing it correctly and with the info patients need and that is way it is so important patient take prescriptions seriously and follow the medication directions exactly and question the doctor if his instructions vary from the medicine.

Related Reading: itching | fatigue

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 08

I was prescribed Aldara back in October. My doctor instructed my to apply the cream three times a week for six weeks and then come back for a follow up. The first two applications were fine. I had no reactions and everything was painless. I decided to research Aldara and was overwhelmed by all the negative and horrifying stories, that I decided to stop applying the cream all together. About two weeks passed and in that time I had researched all these home remedies for warts such as apple cider vinegar and vitamin e oil. The apple cider vinegar BURNED!! I could not handle that! I said what the heck and after my skin completely healed from the ACV, I continued using the aldara. I wish I never stopped using the cream! It has been GREAT with getting rid of the warts. There is a SIGNIFICANT improvement and the warts are almost completely gone! Yes my skin was irritated and it does look worse before it gets better. I found that the cream is just as effective if you wait more days in between. It was difficult for me to do every other day because my skin would get irritated and burn and itch. Sometimes I had to wait 2 or three days before applying the cream again but it is better than applying the cream to already irritated skin, as this can be painful and set back healing time. I had to COMPLETELY stop having sex. My skin was so sensitive to the treatment that sex would just make things worse for my recovery. I used a Q-tip when applying the cream because on me, if I applied the cream to areas of my skin that did not have warts then it would get very irritated. I just had my six-week check up and my warts are almost gone. To anyone that has doubts, just hang in there if you can. A lot of the symptoms listed here are common and expected. It gets worse before it gets better and I never imagined that I would look normal again but I do!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 07

I was told to use only at bedtime 3 days a week.. mine cleared up in as quick as two weeks. I am very happy with this medication and had no side effects to it. Everyone's body is different.. it's worth giving it a try.. also it has been 2 years since I was diagnosed with genital warts and that is when I started using Aldara. I only had to use a couple of weeks, and have had one minor outbreak since. I would recommend this to anyone..

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

trichloracidic acid works much better and faster

Comment from: Fair and Freckled, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 10

The doctor told me the unusual skin patch on my nose was pre-pre cancerous BCC. A few days after I started applying the creme, it looked worse. The doctor's guidance was to take a break of a few days, then try again, once every two days. It is working! It also worked for a large patch of keratonisis. NOT USUALLY MENTIONED IN THESE REVIEWS BUT WORTH NOTING: one envelope may be sufficient for 2-3 applications. At the recomendation of my doctor, I use only the tiniest of dabs, and it works. It helps avoid the severe reactions, and it still heals. I still have several weeks to go before I see the final results, but so far, so good!

Comment from: Stramber, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 23

Am still having Adverse Events from this even tho stopped 5 l/2 months ago. Used on BCC on my leg. Getting all sorts of infections still and mucos in the throat I think it attacks the mucos membranes. Adverse reactions - affected genitals which is often the case in allergic reations. Plus Hives on tummy - Phenergan an antihistamine gave some relief although still have the hives and red rash (erythema) but are getting smaller. For the Anus and genital area this drug seems to have set up an eczma of this area giving an itch - little lumps under the skin like a nettle rash ! and red sore skin with sweating of that area and watery blisters.Can't bear to wear undies - only skirts. For the eczma take some Eve.Primrose Oil x 3 caps a day. Get a good brand name (not generic) cortisone cream rub in then I found a Dermeze Ointment on after that. Sometimes a baby's rash powder helped. Please if your have had success with treating the side effects let us all know.

Related Reading: Phenergan | rash

Sex & Relationships

Get tips to boost your love life.