Aldara User Reviews

Aldara - User Reviews

Aldara User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Aldara sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: coolcat1717, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 25

I was very satisfied with this product. I was sceptical at first because of some of the reviews that I read on this website but I only had one reaction and it was just a small sore. My advise to anyone that uses this product is to use very little amounts on the wart, small enough to barely cover the surface of the wart. Another thing is that if you do get a sore you can use Neosporin on it if it is external, wait until it clears up and then continue the use. Dont be afraid of some of the reviews just use as directed and you should be fine, but its different for everyone.

Comment from: mfpmaloney@aol.com, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 13

aside effect for me was sore and sensitive mouth and tongue, initally severe (couldn't even use toothpaste) then milder. also absolutely killed my taste buds. they came back about a month or two after i stopped using aldara.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm a 23 year old female and I was diagnosed with HPV/genital warts about a month and a half ago. I was given the option to get them burned off or try Aldara. Because they are in a sensitive spot (my perineum), I opted to try the Aldara. I was completely freaked out by reading the reviews (severe burning, itching, swelling, etc) but I really didn't have any other appealing option. I put it on the first time and was waiting for something horrible to happen but nothing ever did. It will make the area you put it on more sensitive, almost like chaffing, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Because of that there was some itching but I just put Cortizone cream on and the discomfort went away. I only had 4-5 warts so my case wasn't extreme by any means, but all of them are gone except for the biggest one which has almost disappeared. I would definitely recommend this as an initial treatment and if your side effects are too uncomfortable than seek alternative treatment (such as acid). The reason I say this is because my doctor told me that Aldara will "train" your body to fight off the warts so they won't keep coming back and you won't have to worry so much about outbreaks. Even though I'm not done with treatment I've had a pretty good experience.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 27

Used all over face 1x/week for 10 weeks in 2006 for several tiny bccs on central face and to catch any non-visible ones. The diagnosed bccs were no longer find-able by Mohs surgeon at 12 weeks, so no surgery necessary then. Now, two other suspicious areas cropped up and derm prescribed Aldara 2x/week for central face area only. Flu-like symptoms with fatigue, coughing both treatment times. spots come up red and look bad in weeks 3-5, then only kind of red on day 2 after each treatment, coinciding with the fatigue. severity of flu reaction varies with how much cream I use. THis time I wear latex gloves to apply, try to use very little, and wash off thoroughly in am. Nearly finished with treatment, will update after treatment ends and MD checks sites. (just fyi Doc says 20% of people lack some receptor that makes the medicine work. Its an immune response modifier, so I'm not surprised it has some systemic effect).

Related Reading: Flu

Comment from: Traci, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 29

Was diagnosed on the side of my nose by the nostril area so I was very worried after my Dr gave me a brochure on this showing pictures of before and after - not to mention reading other people's stories, but so far I have been very fortunate in not having any side effects and my nose looks fine - just the tiny dot of a scar left from the biopsy. I'm in week 5 of an 8 week course. I take it 3x a week, M-W-F and only put a very small amount on like my Dr said to at bedtime and cover with a spot band-aid. I have had only very minor tingling or itching on a couple of occassions that went away after a few minutes. I make sure to clean my face with Oil of Olay wet cloths beforehand and the next morning I use regular Oil of Olay and slather it on really well. Dont know if that helps but it sure doesnt hurt. A few times I have felt queasy and not well the following day after applying but dont know for sure if its a side effect or my hypoglycemia acting up and just stressing about it. My Dr did say if it became bothersome to stop for a few days and use Neosporin and then start up again but I have not had to do this so far. I do love being in control of when I use it on my own timetable.

Related Reading: hypoglycemia

Published: July 02

I had one or two little warts, and they really freaked me out. I put this on, and yes.. it makes things a little sensitive, but I saw results in as little as a week. By two weeks, they were both gone. I used half of one little package for each application because a little goes a long way, and I did that every other day. I also tried to have an extremely healthy diet and drink lots of water. This drug gave me fantastic results.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 18

After reading some of these reviews I was very concerned about using Aldara. I decided to go ahead and had no side effects at all. The site on my back became a little sore after about 3 weeks and scabbed.The scab came off and left a pink area.After 6 weeks of the treatment it is now a faint pink mark and I am to see the dermatologist in 4 weeks to see if it has gone.Everyone is different and not everyone suffers bad side effects. I do think that people who have a bad experience report more than those of us who have not, hence my report.

Sex & Relationships

Get tips to boost your love life.