Ambien User Reviews

Ambien - User Reviews

Ambien User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ambien sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: artist1234, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 03

This is a drug to be wary of...let me tell you why. I began taking Ambien about a year ago, but only took it when I knew I would have trouble sleeping - like the night before a job interview and such. It seemed to work great. After a while, I found myself taking it more often. It happened slowly and I didn't realize for a while how dependent I had become. Eventually, I was taking it almost every night. Over the past year, I have also begun to deal with some extreme emotional ups and downs and felt depressed, very depressed at times. I didn't make a connection. However, as I have begun to wean myself off of the drug for the past month (down to 1/4 tablet once or twice a week),it feels like a veil is lifting. Not only do I feel much stronger, but my thinking is becoming sharper again. I am no doctor, but after listening to my own body, I have decided that this is a drug that DOES affect your brain functions and should be taken with great awareness of how it may be changing your thoughts. Has anyone else experienced a connection to depression?

Related Reading: Ambien | depression

Comment from: HipChick1961, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I've been taking Ambien for about 5 yrs. for chronic insomnia and night terror/nightmares. It has been a lifesaver for me but it IS a tricky drug. Take it when you are actually ready to go to sleep and you are already IN BED. Don't get back up!!! or you will be walking around the house eating, having weird conversations with your significant other about things that you would probably not be talking about if you were actually aware of what you were saying. Ambien makes you really chatty! If I take it and don't go right to bed, I can override the window of opportunity to get to sleep and then Im just awake and weird. Also, hide your car keys or you may find yourself on a road trip in your nightgown. Seriously, just tie yourself to the bed with some duck tape on your mouth. OK, really seriously, its a great drug that WILL help you get to sleep fast, and gives me about 3 to 4 hours good deep sleep with no nightmares...but then most nights I'm awake again and need to take another one to sleep the rest of the night. I've found that I can take a 10mg pill and break it in half to get to sleep initially, and then if I wake up wide awake 3 or 4 hours later, I take the other 1/2. When the alarm goes off in the morning I'm not groggy and feel rested. Also, with 1/2 a 10mg pill, I will wake up if I hear something that I need to wake up for. With a whole 10mg pill, I'm out pretty hard. It does come in a 5mg dose, but I like the choice of sleeping harder or lighter, and its cheaper to split the pills. Unless you wander around without awarness after taking Ambien, it is a great drug to help you get to sleep fast and at least for me, with no nightmares.

Related Reading: insomnia | nightmares | sleep

Comment from: DR. MOM Knows Best, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 18

I have tried Lunesta which always leaves a very strange taste in my mouth the morning after. I have also used Restoril which keeps me extremely tired even after I wake up and take a shower to help me become more refreshed. I really like ambien because it's gentle. I ease right to sleep. I feel like I am falling asleep on a big soft cloud. It's theraputic almost. I really like ambien because I do not feel tired the morning after.

Related Reading: Lunesta | Restoril

Comment from: penguin, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 22

I've taken Ambien as needed for several months. It works great, puts me to sleep quickly and keeps me asleep for 6 hours. You do need to take it when you are going to bed. If you take it an hour before bed, you'll feel like someone slipped rufees in your 5th margarita at the bar. It is not physically addictive. Once I stopped taking it, I could still fall asleep. It IS emotionally addictive (because it works like magic), so you have to watch yourself. I once took this 4 hours after having a 3 beers and the next day I felt very disoriented, had a terrible headache, and couldn't put words together to make a sentence. I thought I was going to have a stroke. It taught me to follow the directions on the label.

Related Reading: headache | stroke

Comment from: ejer222, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 31

Though you hear all the hype about people performing actions they can't remember doing after taking ambien, I find that the only time the possibility of this even occurs is if you take the pill and then wait a long amount of time before you get into bed. All in all ambien has been really helped me sleep and I find that anyone who takes the drug responsibly would agree.

Comment from: DJ, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been taking this for the last three years with no problems. I can't believe that some moron who overdoses by taking 25 pills blames the drug and wants to sue. Stupidity is not grounds for a lawsuit. This drug is perfectly safe when used properly.

From WebMD