Ambien User Reviews

Ambien - User Reviews

Ambien User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ambien sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: waterslide, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 22

This drug works really well and I would reccomend it... but beware and know that you likely will become dependent on it and eventually need to wean yourself off. Highly addictive. I used Ambien to sleep through my chronic pain. It works best if taken on an empty stomach right before going to bed. I had to wait up for 20 or 30 minutes before laying down to get the best effect. I used it for many years and was very Dependant on it. In the end it really took a toll on my memory. I was not even able to read a book anymore. I also started writing emails that I did not remember sending... things like that. It took three months to wean myself off, but I did it. I miss the deep sleep, but now my brain is working again!! Reading books and communicating much better now :) To wean off, you will need the plain generic pills to chop in pieces. Taking 3/4 of the dose for 2 weeks then 1/2 a dose for several weeks and down to 1/4 of a pill. Took me about 3 months to stop it. I also had some Ativan or Valuim to help with the anxiety. I still have to take an anti-anxiety pill to sleep but it does not have the "big" side effects that Ambien did.

Related Reading: chronic pain | Ativan | anxiety

Comment from: bobleen1@aol.com, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 04

Ok frist let me say that this is a very dangerous drug. no matter how you say you won't abuse it you do, but I can tell you frist hand this drug is VERY addictive, but only in your mind not your body like cocaine or herion would be. to get off this and I TOTALY think anyone useing it should you will suffer several VERY MISERABLE nights but once your mind knows that you can rest or sleep without the pill you will find that you can sleep again and not worry about where you will "wake up" I drove while I was in a "awake state" and "woke up" two states away no idea how I got there, had conversations and sent e-mails I don't remember. But the most scary thing was I was going to work in this state and not remembering how I got there. I knew I needed to stop taking this when I set myself on fire and suffered 1st,2nd, and 3rd degree burns on my arm and hand, I look at the scar on my hand every day and thank GOD I no longer take this drug I hope that some day they will take it off the market..

Related Reading: cocaine | burns

Comment from: slnsli, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 03

Prescribed it for trouble sleeping. I was told it was a great alternative to addictive benzodiazapines. Ambien is very frightening. I drove while sleeping. I went to work after taking 15-20 10mg pills. I became addicted and almost lost everything to this "safe" drug. Once I tried to quit I started having grand mal seizures from the withdrawal. Went to Hazelden to get off this medicine. I met many others there that were in to get off ambien and also had seizures from the withdrawal of this medicine. My advice would be to try ampitriptlyn to sleep. I did a lot of scary things over the years while on ambien. Ambien almost took my life. Don't try it.

Comment from: Will, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been on Ambien for seven years. My doctor upped my dosage to 20 mg. My memory disappeared. I have three college degrees and teach at the university. Now I get lost half way through a lecture. I cannot sleep without Ambien, I have tried, S I am addicted to a drug that is stealing my memory and my personality. Stay away from this stuff.

Comment from: fins4ever, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 12

Love it/hate it is how I classify this med. 7 years, doc's get you hooked and then now they say they're worried about abuse. Huh? Watch out and take these posts seriously. You can get hooked, you will do weird things and you will wonder how you can live without it.

Comment from: val, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 23

while i fall asleep my main complaint is i do not stay asleep for the whole night. i usually take ambien around 9 pm and always wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning and i am unable to get back to sleep.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been using ambien (10mg) for several years and it has been effective although lately I am not sleeping as well. I am lethargic during the day. My doctor originally prescribed it as a short time remedy that would reestablish my sleep patterns. It has only made me dependent on ambien in order to sleep. My brain has forgotten how to sleep. Any similar experiences out there? I would like to be no longer dependent upon it.

Comment from: Houston/ Central Texas, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 20

I am 62,female and have had insomnia for thirty years. Have been on generic Ambien 10 mgs for 15 years. The oblong Zolpidem 10 mgs dooesn't work as well as the round Zolpiem 10mgs. I have never experienced any odd side effects nor do I increase my dose. I take melatonin with my generic Ambien, both work for about 6-7 hrs. I don't ever get sleepy at night. I don't drink sodas or tea, don't exercise late. I take meds on an empty stomach, keep bedroom extra cool,block all light with blackout curtains,no clock,TV or phone in my bedroom,use earplugs for noise. I pray and breath deeply before bed. I'm a normal weight, have some arthritis, but live with that. I think this drug is as good as it gets, otherwise, I would have found "it" before now. Insomnia is a bummer. I think it may be an inherited disorder,runs in my family. Why do so many folks suffer with this? I no longer have kid/or elder parent stress..so I should sleep. I do better in the colder months, so temp may play a part. Houston,Central,Texas is hot.

Related Reading: arthritis | stress