Ambien User Reviews

Ambien - User Reviews

Ambien User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ambien sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I was on Ambien (and then generic) for almost 5 years. During that time I experienced hallucinations and MANY memory loss situations; often I would call/text people and say emberassing things in the messages...things I had thought while not on the drug, but would never want to say to someone. Eventually, I did become tolerant to the drug (even though they claim to be non-habit-forming) and found myself taking more and more, or having a glass of wine before taking one (to increase the effectiveness)...although at the time I would have NEVER admitted I was addicted. The nights I wouldn't have one, I couldn't sleep. Finally one night I was upset over work and a fight with my boyfriend, so I took two 10mg pills "so I could get a good nights' sleep" The next thing I remember, I woke up in the ER with my best friend (and roomate) telling me she had to call the ambulance because I took an entire bottle of extra strength tylenol, the rest of the Ambien (nearly-new bottle), and other over-the-counter meds we had in the house. I was in the ICU for 48 hours because the doctors couldn't get my heart rate regulated from all the medications in me. I had NO intentions of suicide nor have I ever been "at risk" for doing something like that...I just couldn't sleep! I hope this drug is pulled from the market immediately because it IS addictive and it has SERIOUS side-effects that are potentially life-threatening. Do not take, nor let loved ones take, this drug!

Related Reading: tylenol | suicide

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 17

I take this for mild sleep apnea and jetlag. I'm always fatigued and sometimes take daily naps then need a pill at night. I have taken about 7 pills over the last couple months. 2 days ago, I had serious HALLUCINATIONS. I was seeing double, could not focus and thought I thought many people were in the room with me (I was alone). It was like an out of body experience. Not sure why this happened. I don't see this list for side-effects and I have not gotten medical advice yet.

Related Reading: sleep apnea

Comment from: jennyrob, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I love Ambien! I cannot sleep due to work pressures and often stay up all night worrying about everything. With Ambien, i fall right asleep, stay asleep, but incredibly wake up early in the morning not sluggish at all and actually feeling wonderful! It has completely changed my attitude, helped with my depression---I think I was just not getting enough sleep...ever!

Comment from: RuthDV, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 30

I've had a terrible sleep disorder for the past decade. Used Ambien in 2003, but our insurance co. quit covering it, so I had to resort to over-the-counter sleep aides, which DID NOT WORK for me! Last March I heard it had gone generic and I needed it badly, as I was diagnosed with bilateral breast-cancer a year ago this week. Sleep would have been impossible during the weeks and months of my biopsies/diagnoses/surgeries. Too much anxiety & heartache to deal with! The generic Ambien (Zolpidem) worked so well for me, I've stayed on it the entire year, with NO side-effects. I only take 5 mg. per night, and usually sleep all night now, unless I'm overly-anxious about something. I've tried NOT taking it a few times, but can't get to sleep ... and once I do finally drop off, I wake up at ANY little sound, and stay awake. (My husband snores LOUDLY, so the "little sounds" really aren't that little!) Ambien/Zolpidem has given me a new lease on life. We NEED our sleep to function in the day, and I am MUCH MORE functional with this medication.

Related Reading: breast | cancer

Comment from: chdnav, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

ever since i can remember, i have always woke up every hour on the hour, never slept more than an hour at at time, toss and turn all night and have to go to work the next day and then have absolutely no energy for my house or kids when i came home.my doctor gave me this and i took it just exactly as the directions said, 2 hours after i ate and went straight to bed, it was a miracle, i slept all night without waking and when i did get up i felt refreshed not drugged or hungover. i feel great all day at work and have plenty of energy for my kids and housework when i get home and on the weekends. also the two weeks right before my menstrual because i am pre-menepausal i wouldnt sleep for 3-4 days in a row my hormones are so messed up and this helps me sleep like a normal person. it has changed my life.

Comment from: larbabe, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

Even though I read about the dangerous side effects of Ambien and had talked to several people who had terrible experiences with it, I trusted my doctor when he perscribed it for my sleeping difficulties. For the first 3 days, it worked well. Then I returned to my old sleep patterns. I was unable to sleep throughout the night; only worse. After a week, I began to feel constant dizziness and was unable to concentrate during the day. Yesterday, after consulting with my doctor, I stopped taking it. Last night was absolutely horrible. It took me most of the night to get to sleep (I never had this problem before). That tells me I was addicted to it (after only one week). Take my advice; read the warning label and think twice before taking this drug.

Related Reading: dizziness