Amitiza User Reviews

Amitiza - User Reviews

Amitiza User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Amitiza sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Yvonne, 55-64 Published: September 19

I have been on this medication for one week. It has relieved my chronic constipation but replaced it with loose stools bordering on diarrhea. My doctor prescribed taking the drug 2x daily. However, this produced very, loose stools, painful gas and stomach discomfort. I reduced the dosage to 1x daily and noticed some improvement. Since reducing the dosage, I have less gas, my stools are more firm, and I have little to no stomach discomfort.

Related Reading: constipation | diarrhea

Comment from: Leah, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 19

While this drug is extremely helpful in relieving constipation, it has caused me intense nausea, diaharrea and gas- the nausea being the worse. I recommend taking at night because when I took it in the morning I was nauseated all day at work. It also causing a burning pain in my throat when I take it and my co-worker takes this medicine as well and has experienced the same pain. Overall, Amitiza works, but be prepared for some intense side effects.

Related Reading: Amitiza

Comment from: Lacole, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 12

I have been diagnosed with chronic IBS-C, to where I have went nearly 3weeks without a bowel movement. Thats when I realized I needed serious help and need to take this seriously. Started seeing a gastroenterologist and had numerous tests and medicines. Nothing worked. Pain and discomfort was becoming quite unbearable. But I have been taking Amitiza 24mcg for about 2weeks, I had a bowel movement nearly an hour later. But the 1st few days, I did have extreme nausea, gas, dry mouth, headache, and dizziness, within 15 mins. The nausea and headaches made me not want to continue this product. But I promised myself to give it at least 2 weeks. And I have had at least 2 bm's everyday since taking Amitiza and the symptoms have decreased. FYI: my little tip...suck on a few halls or peppermints after u take Amitiza...it will lessen the nausea, tremendously.

Related Reading: dry mouth | headache | dizziness

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

I noticed someone else said they were terrified to try this drug. I was too after reading some of the reviews. Perhaps some of those people didn't need such an extreme measure, I noticed alot of them said they were going back to miralax or stool softeners...Let me say, NONE of those work for me I've suffered from chronic constipation for years (since I was a baby actually) and in the last 4 its gotten incredibly worse. I couldn't even get a colonoscopy because drinking an entire 238gm bottle of miralax didn't work...literally did nothing. My doctor said he's never seen that one before... and I ended up in the ER with dehydration and vommiting. There they tried to do an enema and that didn't work either... My doctor prescribed me Amitiza and I'm on 24mg 2x a day. This is literally the only thing that works for me, and I am so relieved to have something. I started out taking it once a day at night because I wanted to test it out after reading about the horrible side effects. I don't have any of the side effects except for I'll get tightening in the chest. Since I know whats causing it it doesn't bother me and usually subsieds within 30-45 min. And I'd rather have a little anxiety for 30 minutes than be constipated for 3-4 weeks. If you suffer from chronic constipation and nothing is working for you, I would highly reccomend this drug. It has been such a relief (no pun intended) to have something that makes me not have to center my life around fiber, laxatives, and when my next movement will be. Give it a chance if you're anything like me!! I am so glad I did.

Related Reading: miralax | dehydration | anxiety

Comment from: londonrain17, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 18

I will be honest in saying that after reading the reviews I was terrified of taking this medication.But then I realized that so few were good reviews and I figured that the majority of people who review drugs only review them if they have had a bad experience-same for people who review doctors or products so I took the medication. I am a chronic pain patient and the medications used to treat my health issues cause me to only be able to use the bathroom once every 10-14 days.Needless to say I look like I am four months pregnant most of the time and as someone who has dealt with anorexia for the last 17 years the weight gain associated from not being able to go to the bathroom has me very uneasy. Unlike so many people on here I have had very few side effects with this medication-24mg 2x day. The one side effect that is the biggest problem is how exhausted it makes me and to be honest that is the only side effect I have had with this medication. It has worked. I now am able to go to the bathroom at least once every other day-sometimes I am able to go twice a day. I have had this problem for years and the only thing that would work was the kind of medication that is used before a colonoscopy and that medication is very harsh so it was a route I did not take.So far I have been happy with this medication and I am hoping that the side effect of being tired will go away with time. Anyone who is afraid to take this medication due to the many bad reviews should just take the plunge and take the pill because you will never know if you don't. What works for some people does not work for others so it is worth taking the medication to see if this is finally the medication that will help you and if it isn't you will know and you will be able to switch to something different by talking with your doctor. I went in thinking the worst about this medication but it has actually worked very well for me.

Related Reading: chronic pain | anorexia