Amitiza User Reviews

Amitiza - User Reviews

Amitiza User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Amitiza sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: queenieb30aol.com, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 21

I have been on amitiza for 6 months I thought I wouldnt get past the first week the nausea was so bad but I kept taking it even though I feeling horrible everyday, well after six months I can say i have a bowel movement every day and as long as I don't take the pill with dairy I don't get sick any more.

Comment from: anonymous, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 30

I was only having bowel movements once a week due to other medications. I was in terrible pain and found myself taking laxatives every day for 2 weeks. I was prescribed Amitiza and it is wonderful for producing bowel movements. I have a weird side effect to this. I get very nauseous when I have to use the bathroom. I wouldnt feel like I need to go but when the nausea hits I've discovered I really need to go. After using the bathroom my nausea went away. For me, I find nausea unbearable and cannot function with it. In addition, my stomach didn't hurt. Rather, it felt uncomfortable and weird b/c I could feel and hear my stomach gurgling and my intestines moving. Not unbearable but it's a weird feeling that I don't really like. Just have to decide which is better: constipation or nausea?

Comment from: martee21, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 19

I have been on this medication since Jan 2008 its now almost the end of June 2008 and have had no problems, no side effects, it has worked really great for me. I have a BM once a day. I take 2 pills 1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

I am an 84 year old male. I have dificulty having bowel movements easily. I have been taking this medication (24mcg, 2 times daily AM/PM) for about 2 weeks. It works good--too good! I now have very loose stools in the mornings. The BM will start about 90 minutes after taking the pill. There is supposed to be a lower dose version (8mcg) coming out soon. I hope this dosage will not produce the loose stools. I haven't hade any other side effects from this medication yet.

Comment from: yonitmiller, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 04

Side affects? ONLY AT THE BEGINNING! ;-)When I first started taking it I had dry mouth when I woke up in the morning, no appetite(lost 4 pounds), and my heart would beat rapidly after taking the meds. But that was just my body adjusting. Within the first week I went to the bathroom everyday. Now I've been on it for over a month. I'm going to the bathroom, daily or every other day and all the side effects are long gone. ;-) I take the highest dose twice a day with a meal. It is my saving grace. Before I took this I was going to the bathroom, once every week, and that was only because I was talking a laxative. ;-( In addition to the medication, I add benefiber into a pint glass of water once a day (to increase my fiber intake) and start every morning with plain quaker oats add water & microwave for three minutes, add some butter and brown sugar) Hope this helps you....;-) Also I am a 30 yr old female who lives in NYC.

Comment from: Carolina Girl , 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 28

It was a little difficult adjusting to Amitiza initially. It make me feel really weird, I experienced tightness in my chest and shortness of breath. My upper body felt numb right after taking it. It also gave me chronic diarrhea . After approximately 3 months, I have hardly any side effects and I finally have pretty normal bowel movements. I have been chronically constipated for almost my entire life and this medicine has become a lifesaver for me. You have no idea the measures I've taken prior to this medication, to try and have a normal life, and until now, it was terrible. I am so thankful that my body adjusted and that this medicine works for me. Hang in there!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

I have IBS and at first this medication was wonderful. But like other medications, after one month I am back to using laxitives once again. I did experience the need tohave a movement about 20 minutes after taking the medication. Now I have bloating and discomfort.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 21

I am taking this medication after 6 months of acute constipation. I am going to have a breath test with Lactulose, to determine if I have an overgrowth of bacteria. I certainly hope that I do, so that this can be corrected. The only problem with the Amiteza is that it creates a liquid stool. AT first the gas and abd noise was huge, but that has simmered down. So, the plus is that I am actually having a bowel movement. The down side is that it is liquid and when I have to go, it is urgent.

Published: July 28

I have been taking Amitiza for 2 months. I was ecstatic initially a) that my insurance FINALLY partly covered it, and b) that my bowels began doing SOMETHING daily, though the movements were mostly liquid, incomplete and gassy. But the side effects (not intolerable at first) have increased - flulike symptoms, dry skin (painfully dry face), bloating, and gas rumbling noisily around my insides - and now I have been diagnosed with rosacea on my face for the first time in my life. I feel exactly as if I have mild food poisoning, and I have a suspicion. I believe Amt probably irritates the colon lining so it produces a lot of fluid (there's no other reason the colon would do this), which also fires up the immune system to fight a possible invasion/stomach flu. To have this going on every day in your system has to be really deleterious to some of us. My whole body is irritated now. My face is a red sore mess and my lungs feel inflamed as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't autoimmune consequences for susceptible patients from this overpriced drug. The Amitiza website is evasive about the mechanism of this drug - "Activation of ClC-2 chloride channels increases fluid in the bowel" (btw they're present in the lungs as well)...has been associated with cancer in humans in medical abstracts, and even laymen-patients know that chronic irritation to mucous membranes can lead to "changes" in susceptible people. Who's susceptible? I have stopped trusting prescription drugs, and when a prescribed pill makes me feel really awful, I do a little investigating. No more Amitiza for me.

Related Reading: dry skin | rosacea | food poisoning