Amitiza User Reviews

Amitiza - User Reviews

Amitiza User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Amitiza sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 12

This med has worked fine for me. I have had constpation for decades with fissures and prolapsed rectum. With this med I do find on occassion I get upper GI cramping shortly after I take it however, I believe that may be my fault for not drinking enough fluid or eating with it. I have found my abdominal bloating to disappear when I use it, to the point people have asked if I have lost weight! My only issues are that I sometimes need to be careful passing gas, (air may not be all that sneaks out) and I forget to take it twice a day. Once I get relief from the bloating I have found I can cut it to once daily and get the same effects. I don't need to use it constantly, only when the constipation interferes with life. I have never noticed any side effects.

Comment from: llamamom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 01

I suffered over 10 years of chronic constipation, when absolutely nothing worked. I mean nothing! After my first dose of Amitiza, I had a normal BM. I called my doctor and told him the drug was a miracle. I've been taking it for four years with no side effects. Just recently, it has not been working as effectively. I will have to see what my doctor recommends now.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 10

After having taken Amitiza for approximately 4 months, I landed in the hospital retaining 12 pounds of fluid, inability to urinate or have a bowel movement, extreme pain, and shortness of breath. These are all side affects of Amitiza that my doctor did not tell me about. I was instructed to stop taking Amitiza immediately and within 3 days most simptoms subsided. I would recommend using a different drug or making your doctor tell you all of the side affects before you take Amitiza. For me, it was definately not worth it.

Comment from: mullylin14, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 29

Unfortunately, this is not working for me, I still have to take oral laxitive @ 2-3 daily or I will continue to have chronic constipation! My BM is diarrhea or constipation, no in between, which should be happening.

Comment from: annyinwonderland, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 29

my chronic constipation is caused by other medications that i take. amitiza has been a huge help and i'm very happy its on the market.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 10

Not only did I experience severe bloating and gas, but also headaches, nausea, hair loss, fluid retention, joint pain, body aches, chills, sweating, soreness in lungs with deep breaths, and shortness of breath. The constipation relief only brins loose stool and only lasts about 2 weeks. This drug should not be on the market!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Hollis, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 20

At age 54, I have suffered a lifetime of chronic constipation affecting my ability to travel and work. In the past I have gone as long as 10 day without a BM resulting in severe cramping, cold sweats, fainting and trips to the emergency room. My doctor prescribed Amitiza about 3 months ago to be taken along with a daily dose of Miralax. The combination has changed my life. I can now travel - which had become close to impossible - or at least difficult, painful and embarrassing. There is an adjustment period of increased gas and discomfort, those symptoms diminished with time. Amitiza has been a godsend for me - hang in there with the initial side effects and good luck. This must be what normal feels like!

Related Reading: fainting

Comment from: countrygal, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 19

Mostly nausea, however I could live with that but it has not helped me at all. I still am severely constipated. I still have bloating and have to use a suppository to get my bowels to move and it is still very hard and dry...I have been on 2 24mg a day for a week. I don't know if it takes longer for it to actually make a difference but so far I'm not impressed with my results.

Comment from: clove224, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 05

I have mixed feelings about Amitiza. Regarding my bowel movements it has worked consistently. Also the side effects have been as consistent namely: stomach pain/cramps, chest tightness, tiredness/fatigue and bloating. I wouldn't take this medication if the alternative wasn't so bad (severe constipation). My advice to someone considering this medication is to carefully weigh all options available to you before trying this medication: the cost and the side effects somewhat outweigh the positive results.

Related Reading: fatigue