Antabuse User Reviews

Antabuse - User Reviews

Antabuse User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Antabuse sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: ICAM46143, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 19

Antabuse, combined with other treatment modalities is an awesome way to get the Alcoholic on the way to sobriety. However, care must be used in those suffering from hepatocellular dysfunction or other liver problems. Unlike other expensive drugs this deterrant can help the alcoholic build a foundation to recovery.

Related Reading: Antabuse | liver

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been an alcoholic for a long time. I had trouble relating to people in AA because I never hit rock bottom, so I rarely went to meetings and never quit drinking for a long time. 2 years ago my doctor offered me Antabuse. After a 'last' binge I started taking 500mg/day. After a while I cut back to 250mg/day. I was sober for 9 months on it. After 9 months I decided that I wanted to drink at a concert, so I stopped taking the med 2 weeks before the concert. After the concert I went on a 2 day binge (no big surprise). Then I went back to the drug and stopped drinking again for several months. I have followed this pattern for the past 15 months - a while on the drug and sober, then off and drinking for a few days, and then back on. My dosage is now 250mg every other day. I have experimented and found that I need to be off it for 4 days before I can drink without side effects (AT THIS DOSAGE). When I drink too soon, my blood pressure goes way up and my entire body turns beet red - very scary. Overall I'm very happy with the results of the drug. My system only works because I have the willpower to return to it after a few days of drinking. I feel that Antabuse has allowed me to 'control' my drinking better than I could do on my own or with meetings (gee - do I sound like an alcoholic? Yes). Your mileage may vary...

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 05

I have been taking this medication for almost 60 days at 250mg. At this dose I have only experienced mild abdominal discomfort. I began at 250 mg, but found I was still able to have a sip of alcohol and not experience the side effects. I spoke with my doctor and upped the dose to 500 mg, but found the abdominal discomforts to be too great and went back down to 250mg. I have been sober for 20 days now. I take Campral in addition to Antabuse to help treat my alcoholism and Lexapro for anxiety. I attend counseling and see a Psychiatrist and regularly go to AA. I have found the Antabuse to be an integral tool to aid me in quitting drinking as it keeps me honest. The side effects that occur when mixing this drug with alcohol are quite unpleasant and are enough of a deterrent to keep me away from alcohol.

Related Reading: Campral | alcoholism | Lexapro

Comment from: poofpoof, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

I didn't drink for a while on antabuse. Then one day I tried a beer a day after taking my 500mg dosage. Within about 5-10 minutes,my face felt flush, my heartrate increased, until eventually, it felt like there was an anvil on my chest. My hands and feet became incredibly itchy, but I did not vomit. There have been a few occasions where I have drank within a day or 2 of taking antabuse and a few times have felt like dying!! It's hard to breathe! The flushed face and itchy extremities are one thing, but when you feel like you are going to suffocate, that's quite another. I briefly occupied myself with wanting other things, such as Starbuck's or shopping. I am an addict at heart. The cravings for alcohol don't stop, but are better when taking antabuse.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 11

Definately reduced desire to consume alchol. However, caused horrendous headaches, rash on hands and face, dizziness, nausea, extreme tiredness, blurred vision, and hands and feet became very, very cold, as if my circulatory system was not functioning properly. The bad has far out-weighed the good for me on this medication.

Related Reading: rash | dizziness

Comment from: thekid, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 13

this drug works only because of my FEAR of the sickness that occurs when you mix it with alcohol. currently on this for over 90 days, haven't had a drink in over a year. but Man, i'm thirsty, i just can't trust myself on the juice anymore and the temptation is too grteat so i had my Dr. put me on antabuse.

Comment from: Bud, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 14

This drug is awesome...if you take it everyday. I have been unable to stay sober for more than a month at a time over the last 5 years. When I drink I smoke crack. When I use I am sometimes gone for days getting high and staying drunk. My girlfriend of 5 years has put up with my constant relapses and somehow has stayed with me, always hoping I would stop. I tried absolutely everything to stop drinking and Nothing had stopped me. When I had the cravings I could not stop myself. So now it has been 3 weeks and I have stayed sober taking it everyday. My girlfriend gives it to me every morning because if it were up to me I would probably not take it so that I could drink occassionally. So if you have the option of someone literally putting it on your tongue and watch you swallow then do so. You can fight the disease out of fear of getting violently ill as so many other reviewers can attest to. Save your life...live your life. God bless us all.