Antabuse User Reviews

Antabuse - User Reviews

Antabuse User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Antabuse sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Barbie Doll, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 06

I wanted to take back control of my life. I wanted to finally stop drinking for good. I wanted to have energy again, enjoy my life and do more than just drink. I asked my doctor to prescribe antabuse. I have been on it for about 3 weeks now. My system is quite sensitive and 500mg was just too much - I was having reactions to everything. I also didn't realize how many things contained alcohol until I ate a couple of chocolates (choc liquer) and I was sick for a day! I cut back to 250 mg and started to research all the other items I needed to cut out that contained alcohol. The list is very long!!!! I have learned that you need to return to basics and cook your own food. All forms of processed foods contain some sort of alcohol. nail polish, hair spray, hair dye, dish liquid, even clothes detergent! As soon as I started eliminating these items I begin to feel better. Seek advice from a pharmacist or a homeopath regarding vitamins you can take that really get rid of cravings. And, most of all, don't give up!!!!! It will give you back your life and you will feel amazing!

Related Reading: vitamins

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 12

first started antabuse about 3 years ago, stayed on the medication for awhile and stopped. never drank on the medication until i took it again a few months later after relapse. DO NOT DRINK WHEN TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!! my skin turned flush red, my throat swelled, i became dizzy and disoriented, my heart rate increased to a extremely scary rate, severe vomiting, stomach and chest pains, muscle aches, joint aches, i thought i was going to die. this drug is one not to play around with when taking and consuming alcohol. death may occur. i have to say, taking the medication made me fearful of alcohol *since you have to be sure not to use Listorine, cologne/perfume that contains alcohol, or eat or drink anything with alcohol* but i wasnt satisfied for the fact if a strong enough urge to drink came along, it would do me in for sure considering the side effects. but taking the medication normally, without consuming alcohol, i did not experience any side effects.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 13

The effectiveness of Antabuse comes from fear, at least for me. I did not want to become violently ill from drinking alcohol or breaking out in a rash or other topical irritations from coming in contact with products that contain alcohol. Yes, it does effect you if you use, for instance, hand lotion that contains alcohol. Antabuse does not stop the physiological desire to drink. It is merely a deterrent. I had no hard-core side effects but did have a mild upset belly during the time that I took the drug.

Comment from: bnm62526, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 16

Raised my blood sugsar levels to where i was classified a diabetic. i have since joined aa and am still not drinking. no one advised me of the side-effects of this medicine.

Comment from: nieve, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

The only noticeable side effect was the nasty taste in my mouth but with time this went away. It did help with my cravings because I knew of the consequence if I drank therefore chose not to drink.

Published: December 27

felt sick and had abdominal pain

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: happy wife, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 13

My husband has been on this medication for 2 months and this has been the best thing for all of us. He is sober and afraid to drink due to the side effects, family life has improved. He has high stress at work he doesn't sleep much.He is also has depression issues and is on lexapro and also takes trazodone to help sleep. He does suffer from anxiety but not sure if it's partly due to the anabuse or not. Anabuse gives him peace of mind that he can function and work every day. He had some chicken marsala, not thinking, and he has been dry heaving alot his skin was red and hot and in some places white and cool. Anabuse seems to work. MY sister in law died due to the disease and we don't wanna lose him the same way, so anything is worth trying. He's been an alcoholic for many many years he's been sober for 2yrs without meds but lately can't do it on his own and this seems to be helping. It takes a load off knowing he can't drink and if he doesn't drink all can be good. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Related Reading: stress | sleep | depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 21

This is not an experiment to see if one can get over on the med. A sincere desire to stay sober is required. I am happy to say I have had no ill side effects. I recommend this drug to people who truely want to live a sober life, and deal with lifes issues as they are dealt to us. Using a recovery program is also a priceless tool.