Antabuse User Reviews

Antabuse - User Reviews

Antabuse User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Antabuse sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 16

My doctor informed me I will get sick if I drink alcohol while on the medicine. The fear of this has been helping me alot. Don't expect the craving for alcohol to stop.

Comment from: annie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 17

I'm a successful, high functioning alcoholic. I've been on this drug for two weeks now and it's a real lifesaver. It is such a huge RELIEF to know that I cannot drink - so much easier than just willpower alone. The beast is off my back! The only side effect that I'm having is fatigue. I do wish I found this sooner... I thought this was for extreme cases only. I've tried everything over the past five years (naltaxrone doesn't work, AA isn't for me) and antabuse makes it so much easier. I only have to think about alcohol once a day (when I take the pill) instead of pure willpower which is impossible.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: John, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 30

The fact that it dissolves in water is good. I cant pretend to take it and then spit it out. It has made me give up alcohol completely since 2nd April this year as the side effects are too unpleasant. I had been a very heavy drinker for 26 years.

Comment from: KL, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 13

I have been sober for 5 days now since starting Antabuse (500mg). I have not experienced much in terms of side effects except for one awesome side effect - the fact that I am too scared of getting violently ill to even THINK of having a drink. I feel lucky to have been finally prescribed this drug. My newfound doctor is a god send in my eyes. I am also taking cipralex for depression and now that I have a few days clean time, it too is actually working... surprise surprise! Now just trying to figure out when will be a good time to kick the smoking cigarettes. Feel full of life and back to my old self. AA meetings and talk therapy are also in my regime. Not a big fan of some of the views of AA but I will take everything I can to stay sober and use from that what helps me. Good luck to us all.

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: lilwill1, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 23

I have been on antabuse for 13 days and it is incredible.the first two days my stomach was upset ,then I took it with food before bed and the aches went away.This stuff really works great.It makes you drowzy/sleepy so I will only take it at night.Feel great, no desire to drink and the side effect warning helps me too not drink at all.Tons more energy and now I can sleep at least 6 hours a night when my normal used to be around 4.AA meetings a couple of times a week also helps put things into perspective.

Comment from: Lovesalatte, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 09

So far so good. I've been on this medication for two weeks now. I have experienced, dizziness, extreme fatigue, sleepiness, and dry mouth...very thirsty! Otherwise, all is well. I am getting through the rough parts, as mentioned above, now I am trying to search for the personal hygeine products that I CAN use. You know what I mean? Well, good luck to all.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Eliza, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 27

My husband has been on Antabuse for 2 months - the first month was really difficult as he had significant side effects (fatigue, headache, general feeling of unwellness), but these have settled down. Initially he was able to continue drinking without any significant reaction (he flushed and got racing heart but was not sick and felt discouraged that the medication was not worthwhile and not providing the disincentive he had hoped for). After about 3 weeks on the meds he did become very sick after drinking 12 std drinks (which was very scary for me to watch and hope he would be OK). At 4 weeks he was only able to drink 2 std drinks before feeling ill and now has been completely sober for a month. The best thing is it is like a weight has lifted from him as the effect of the meds provide a physical motivation to not drink rather than just willpower alone and the daily stress of not drinking isn't such a burden. For this medication to work you need to have high motivation to take the tablets in the first place and then to persevere through the side effects - it is worthwhile and it is now certainly working for my husband. As a partner, it has certainly helped life at home but it is not a magic or easy fix. His plan is to stay on the meds, and sober, for another few months and then try controlled drinking.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: rlandr30, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 22

After just 2 500mg doses of of this drug,I just had to test it.I drank one beer and one shot of burbon. whithin 30 minutes,my heart raced, my face became very flush, I got dizzy to the point where I almost passed out, and ultimatly lost controll of my bladder. Needless to say, I wouldn't go near alcohol but after 30 days,the extreme tiredness and confusion became overwhelming and my doctor took me off it. Have an oppointment next week.