Arava User Reviews

Arava - User Reviews

Arava User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Arava sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: LizH., 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

I do not recommend this drug in combination with methotrexate. Liver enzymes have not been normal since. It made me feel ill - the doctor said it was a flare, but it was not a flare - it just made me feel sick all the time. I was told by general practitioner, and she said that a lot of people felt ill on ARAVA. History: I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago. I tried methotrexate without much relief for 8-9 months. They dosed me with a wide variety of NSAIDs over time along with it, but none of them helped at all. Then, a new dr. put me on Arava, with the metho & that's when my liver enzymes went sky high. They are still not back to normal after nearly a year with no meds at all. I just got scared away from taking anything, but wrist joint damage has begun. So, I started plaquenil, and I am trying milk thistle for my liver and staying away from all alcohol for the time being. We shall see, not much relief so far, just digestive issues, increased hot flashes and mid-afternoon into evening fatigue that wrecks my life. I have Sjoerens & Reynauds also. I had wheezing yesterday “ haven't had that since on metho/Arava. But, of course the Drs. say it is not associated.

Related Reading: Liver | ARAVA | NSAIDs

Comment from: Kimba, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 29

In Nov.2003 after Hepatitis C and Polio vaccinations on the same day I got a horrendous allergic reaction. After this event my RA began very aggressively. Rh factor 100. Took Vioxx, Methotrexate, Plaquinil, Prednisone. Was still in constant pain with huge painful flare ups in all my joints in the body. Sometimes I could not get out of bed and needed help to dress etc. Life wasn't worth living anymore, I thought. Then, in April 2006, I began taking 20mg Arava daily plus continued taking 5 mg Prednisone and after less than two weeks I was pain free. It was like a miracle and I had to get used to the new "me." Since then, I have not had any stiffness or flare ups or used my wrist braces a single time. After one year, I began taking 20 mg Arava only every other day and will now try every three days. I am also down to 3 mg Prednisone daily. I hope I will stay this well forever. My liver enzyme values are monitored every three months. I was very scared of taking Arava at first because of the long half-life but I am glad I did since I have had two and a half good years now.

Related Reading: Hepatitis | Polio | Vioxx

Comment from: Diane 49, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 02

I had several flares that just wouldn't go away. the methotrexate and plaquenil just were'nt enough, but the arava seemed to do the trick. I haven't felt this good in a long time.

Related Reading: plaquenil

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 22

I was on enbrel and methotrexate and doing quite well for about a year, but unfortunately developed methotrexate toxicity and had to stop. My rheumatologist prescribed ARAVA to replace the methotrexate. It took about four months to build up to levels where it was effective, but have had no problems on it. I feel good. The only side effect I have experienced is some very slight numbness in my toes which occurs in the morning and wears off during the day.

Related Reading: enbrel

Comment from: torticolis, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 08

I have been taking this medication for two years and my results are good. I had a difficult time walking before I started on the med, but now I jog three times a week.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

I have been on this treatment for about 3 months now. I vomit almost everyday, and have constent heartburn and chestpain.

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: free to move, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 09

My RA seems to be in remission. I have experienced easy bruising and always have some bruises, primarily on my legs. Overall, I am happy with the results I have achieved.

Related Reading: bruises

Arthritis

Get the latest treatment options