Aricept User Reviews

Aricept - User Reviews

Aricept User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Aricept sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: kykaren, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 05

I experienced very unpleasant side effect for only one week. I believe that Aricept is a miracle drug for me. I was diagnosed with an alzheimer's type mild dementia in 2001. Taking the Aricept I was able to work until 2004, and now I am on disability. I believe that Aricept has slowed the progression of my condition to the point that I am still able to care for myself, including driving and living alone. It might not work quite like this for everyone, but any productive time it can give a person is very much welcomed. I can honestly recommend Aricept to anyone with this type of dementia. But please allow enough time to get past the initial side effects.

Related Reading: Aricept | dementia

Comment from: dancindawn, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 02

My 90 yr old grandmother has multi-infarct dementia r/t stroke. She has been on Aricept with good cognitive results, but had to discontinue use because of the side effect of excessive tiredness/sleepiness during the day. I have seen a definite decline in her cognitive response after the d/c of this drug. I have taken care of many other geriatrics in long term care with this med therapy, with varied results. Drug does not work as well for people with severe dementia, but noticible increases in cognitive levels for people with mild to moderate dementia. I am a healthcare employee with 18 years working with dementia patients. Thank you.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 04

I have been on the sample package for 5 weeks. The 5 mg. went well, but ater I started the 10 mg. I had terrible nightmares, preassure in my head & ears. muscle cramps, dizziness, nausea and weakness. I want to get off this!

Related Reading: nightmares | muscle cramps | dizziness

Comment from: George, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 31

My father began taking Aricept on 3/11/09. Very positive results became apparent after about 3 weeks. Good memory returned, cognitive skills returned, confusion disappeared. He has returned to his normal self that he was five years ago. He is nearly 99 years old and has returned to doing projects around the house such as repairing and painting things. He is amazing, and I attribute it to the Aricept. He was going downhill fast previously. He began treatment with 5 mg daily for 3 weeks to watch for side affects. He began taking it 8 a.m daily, but we changed it to 8 p.m as he had slight dizziness. Also had minor soft stool, which went back to normal after one week. Dizziness stopped after giving dosage before bedtime. He went to 10mg daily, beginning after 3 weeks of 5mg. He takes 5mg at 8 a.m. and the other 5mg at 8 p.m. He has never had any dizziness after the first week of treatment. His appetite is excellent and he has no nausea. I recommend Aricept to others, and they have had positive results, though not quite as quickly as my Dad has. It has been nearly 5 months since Dad began treatment and we still see continued improvement.

Comment from: sandyvan, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 01

The negative reaction I had to tis was bowel loosness and frequency. I take an OTC anti medication. My memory has increased back to before I had a problem. Cognitive is still not good.

Comment from: saadiekate, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 29

My 92 year old Mother is in a nursing home, one of her health issues is dementia which is slowly getting worse. The doctor prescribed 10 mg.Aricept. Mom had been on the drug for a week and each day I saw her I could see the changes taking place. She was more confused than ever before, forgetting her everyday routine, wanting to go to bed 3 pm in the afternoon, weak the list goes on. This was a frightening experience to see what aricept was doing to her. I immediately had her taken off aricept. Now I am waiting till it gets out of her system. The side effects of this drug were worse that the condition she is being treated for. My advice to all caregivers, research the medications, if you have a concern of any kind regarding your loved ones condition please ask questions of doctors, research on webmd. Do not give up.

Comment from: led, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 24

This DRUG is on the market for monetary profit for the drug reps, physicians, & pharmacist. My father was put on this drug by a doctor unnecessarily. He was a very intelligent person and very mobile for 8l years old. After being on this drug for about 3-4 weeks, he bacame immobile, weak, stopped eating and had to be hospitalized. Eventually, this drug helped along with another one led to his death. Please be very aware of any and all side effects of this drug if you or love ones are taking this drug.

WebMD Daily

Get breaking medical news.