Arixtra User Reviews

Arixtra - User Reviews

Arixtra User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Arixtra sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: frustrated in nj, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 01

I have antiphosolipid antibody syndrome and have been on warfarin for 3yrs. A recent misdiagnosis of a blood clot has now left me with no choice but heparin for life. I have found the cost of arixtra to be exhorbitant compared to warfarin and the bruising and hematomas are awful, though not as bad as lovenox.

Comment from: godsrancher, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 10

I have Factor V Lieden [homozygote= a recessive gene from both parents] and a hematologist prescribed Arixtra. 4 months into the shots I was experiencing depression but just thought I was lazy as I had never had depression before. At 6 months was put on Lovenox [thought I had developed a blood clot while on Arixtra] and 1.5 days later the depression was gone. Still waiting to see what blood thinner I am to be put on. Lovenox long term causes osteoporosis. I wish I could find a list of side effects on Arixtra as no drug is without side effects.

Related Reading: depression | osteoporosis

Comment from: Percyfaith, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 17

Been dealing with DVT Blood clot in my left leg for about 1 month. Warfarin and Lovenox did not work on my clot and I had to be in the hospital on Heparin and then have vein surgery to remove the clot. I have not been on Arixtra very long but I think it or Heparin, Coumadin (warfarin) and or Lovenox may be causing me a great deal of hair loss. I've got other issues. I am coming off of 2 months of cancer treatment (2 weeks of Chemo and 30 Radiation treatments for Anal Cancer). I was unaware that blood clots often follow cancer treatment. A long flight 10 hour home from my cancer treatment center (CTCA) in AZ did not help the blood clot problem. I am also hypothyroid and had to change from taking Armour Thyroid to Synthroid and Cytomel one month ago so lots of factors going on with me. To boot I am a believer in holistic healing and hate being on drugs. I originally thought I'd be on Arixtra shots in my stomach for 3 months -now my doctor is suggesting 6 months. I don't think I can do that that long and I am considering do the 4 months and then getting on supplements specifically an Anti-Thrombic Kit (Containing the following 7 items) Choline Citrate (one teaspoon with Magnesium Formula) Curcumin (6/day) (no blood thinners) Fish Oil Formula Flax Oil (1 tsp/day) Garlic Extract (100 caps) Ginkgo Biloba Plus Magnesium Formula (2 to 3 with choline as needed for pH) Beyond drugs, supplements, good organic nutrition and mild daily exercise I believe in the Grace and Power of the Lord Jesus Christ. I pray for wisdom for all of those who read this... that God will lead and protect us as we seek health.

Related Reading: hair loss | cancer | Anal Cancer

Comment from: lkander, 25-34 (Patient) Published: August 11

I had surgery in my leg and was prescribed this drug simply to prevent blood clots. I went to fill the prescription and nearly fainted when the cost was $50 a dose, one dose a day. I was furious with the Dr. and called him to discuss any options. He said, "oh yeah, aspirin is another option that will work just fine. The only difference is that the anti-coagulation properties of aspirin last 2 weeks, Arixtra only lasts 24 hours." I walked back into the drugstore and bought a 98 cent bottle of aspirin and saved $505.02

Related Reading: aspirin

Comment from: Kay, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 21

The fact that it is a shot that has to be taken daily is my struggle wish they had a pill or such that does the same thing. Im 19 years old and have to take it the rest of my life so I wish they would come out with easier ways to take it.

Comment from: alvin, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 04

rash on upper arms and chest, bruising, bleeding from wound

Related Reading: rash

Comment from: txnursie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 22

Since coumadin therapy failed for me, I have no choice but to be on Arixtra or another type of low-molecular weight heparin for the rest of my life. (clotting disorders) I've had terrible knots forming in the abdomen, huge hematomas. I kept thinking perhaps I'm giving them wrong but I've been a nurse for 17 years this summer and have been giving myself heparin injections off and on since I was 20 yrs old (25 yrs ago!) I've given more injections than you can imagine but something horrible is happening with these. These knots are HUGE and deep and painful. Anyone have any suggestions?