Armour Thyroid User Reviews

Armour Thyroid - User Reviews

Armour Thyroid User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Armour Thyroid sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 06

I had side effects (depression)from generic levothyroxine, so my doc put me on Armour. I has worked well for me.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 02

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 5 years ago. My doctor first put me on synthroid (several different dosages), but my pulse was racing at 2x normal. He changed me to Armour and I have had no issues since. I moved about a year ago and it took me changing doctors twice to find someone here who would prescribe it to me. I spoke to a pharmacist who told me that some doctors don't like it because since it is a natural hormone vs. a synthetic one, it is hard to ensure that each pill has the exact dosage it is supposed to. She also said the manufacturer has had difficulty filling orders for certain dosages, but I have not had any problems getting mine as of yet. I'm not sure why doctors are so adamant about prescribing synthroid, even when the patient describes terrible side effects.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 10

I was 27 when diagnosed with hypothyroidism.... way too young for the POOR quality of life I was experiencing. I had 2 young children, one still an infant, yet had NO energy to care for them. My doctor put me on Synthroid, which helped me for a grand total of 1 month. When ALL of my "hypo" symptoms returned, plus some new ones, and a higher dose of Synthroid didn't touch them, I knew it was time to switch to Armour. That was 2.5 years ago. I'm on a fairly high dose, yet that's what I need to feel NORMAL. I now have 3 children, and except for the craziest of days, I have enough energy. I can not only provide the basics of food, clothing, & a clean house for my children, but also homeschool and do "fun" stuff like crafts or going to the park. Armour is WONDERFUL for me!! If you take Armour, be sure to take *enough* so that your symptoms go away. Taking too little won't help enough, and you'll think the Armour isn't working.

Comment from: yellowngrnduck, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 29

I was on Levothyroxine for 10 yrs. it was horrible for me, the hair loss, weight gain, mood swings, pretty much I had all the side effects. I did research and switched to Armour. I told my doctor I wanted to take it, and that I did research, and why I wanted to take it. She listened to me and said why not. I have been on it now for over a year and just love it. My hair loss isn't so much, side effects are much less. My thinking is much clearer. I love it and would't change for anything.... Give it a try, its the least you can do for yourself...

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: HappyMommy, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 09

I have taken the ORIGINAL Armour Thyroid then it was back ordered so I had to take Synthroid instead. TERRIBLE! I'd rather take nothing at all! I then started taking compounded Armour Thyroid and it worked good but was $44 a month. I decided to try Armour again after hearing it was available once more but reformulated.I feel GREAT! My energy is back, depression and other symptoms are mostly or totally gone. I am very happy with the results and it's only $4 a month from Walmart! Hoping it doesn't get back ordered anymore! VERY happy to feel normal again!!!

Comment from: risawinner, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 03

I took 100mg of Synthroid from 1993-2006, and had many unpleasant side effects-profuse sweating, hair loss, itchy eyes,extreme moodiness,joint pain, weight gain etc. My doctor only lowered the dose when I insisted and was without thyroid medication from 2006-2008. I felt much better,until recently, I would tire easily. I recently went to a new doctor who prescribed a low dose of Armour. I felt more energetic,and am finally losing weight after only 10 days.

Comment from: kleighsdeedee, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 08

Armour has truly changed my life!Living with hypothyroidism is so hard in itself, that I'm glad I found a medication that makes me feel "normal" again.Before being diagnosed, I had all of the terrible symptoms. Weight gain, thinning hair, inability to tolerate cold and heat....but being on this medicine for the past 3 years has been wonderful! I recently gave birth in December 07' and have a doc appt at the end of this month b/c I know my dosage needs to be increased.(They just didn't want to increase to much during my pregnancy.) My Mom takes Synthroid and I have told her to request her doctor to change to Armour.This is the only med I've ever been on, but from reading about Synthroid, this one seems so much better!Hypothyroidism is hard enough to deal with, dealing with a bad medicine shouldn't be another concern. For those thinking of making the switch, I strongly recommend it!!!

Related Reading: pregnancy