Ativan User Reviews

Ativan - User Reviews

Ativan User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ativan sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Female on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 30

I have been on Lorezapam (generic for Ativan) for about 12 years now. I have stopped taking it for periods of time (up to 3 months or more), but only wound up having acute panic attacks again and often hospitalized since some of my symtoms were considered life threatning. It is the only medication that has been able to prevent me from having acute anxiety attacks and some other health problems especially hypertension(the silent killer). The reason I would stop taking it was because of all the "BS" I heard about how harmful it could be and was very addictive and you would have to take more and more of it, not so with me! I take 1 mg twice daily and it does the trick, I am able to function totally normal while taking this medication with NO SIDE EFFECTS! I have been told by Doctor's that the 1 mg dose I take twice a day is considered a small dose and is not harmful to me and actually benefical for me to take because of the other health problems I have. Sometimes I will only take 1 MG daily and have NEVER taken more than 3 MG in one day. From my personal experience with this medication, I would rank it right at the top if you need treatment for acute anxiety. As for the treatment of anxiety before I started taking Lorezapam, THEY ALL FAILED! Yes, I understand this is not the case for others, if you have suceeded my some other method, GREAT! But if you are going to need medication, myself I don't know of anything better. Doctor's have tried me on everthing else from just plain Aspirin and a night of good sex to Thorazine.

Related Reading: Aspirin | Thorazine

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had anxiety issues for years but they have worsened considerably lately. I had an anxiety attack so bad a week ago that i went to the e.r and was prescribed a low dose ativan until could see my regular doctor. The medicine helped me so much that i cant begin to describe it. I wasnt able to get in to see my regular pain doctor for the next week or so, and when i did he did not want to prescribe it to me, even after i described how it had opened my eyes and made me realize that i wanted to to stop taking my regular pain meds (methadone, norco)just so that i could have something to make me enjoy life again. My doctor of course says that he "hates that medicine" and it took everything to convince him to at least give me something else for anxity. So instead he prescribed me very small doses of klonopins. At first it sounded to me as if they would be similar but to my dissapointment they are not. Ativans changed the way i was thinking and made me feel very positive about life. I am now in the process of trying to get my doctor changed so that i may have the option of changing the med. My advise to anyone out there is to be on top of your case, and dont just let your doctor take advantage of the fact that you dont know as nuch about med. as they do. Nobody can tell you how much pain you are in. GOOD LUCK

Related Reading: norco

Comment from: SBERRY, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 30

This drug works great for sleep problem,it is by far better than ambien,However highly addictive. It is extremly hard to get off of even after only a couple of weeks. I had taken for anxiety years ago and was then taken off of it. The withdrawals are terrible I diddnt sleep for almost 14 days. I should have never got back on it. The are alot of non addictive medications for anxiety. If you read this take my word highly highly ADDICTIVE.

Related Reading: sleep | ambien

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 28

THis is a very effective drug for anxiety. Withdrawl symptoms can be evident and unpleasent if I've used my prescription too quickly in a given month. I take 60 .5mg tablets every thirty days. This medicine has wonderful potential to help anxious people feel comfortable; however, it must be used with descretion. I have discussed increasing my dose or number of tablets with my doctor, but am concerned with withdrawl symptoms. Three tablets a day may be better than two, but eventially I'm afraid I would require four and on. Each patient and physician should determine the dose and frequency based on the individual's condtion, body and response to therapy.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 19

I have taken ativan for over 12 years for severe panic attacks. This medication has helped me live a normal life & allows me to go out in public with out thoughts of having an attack. I have attempted to get off this medication 3 different times but each time my panic attacks would return within 2 days. I started taking 4 pills during the day but I have been able to reduce the amount to 2 pills a day unless I have to go some where in a crowd or previous panic attack situation. Then, I take a pill before going which prevents an attack. It took 6 long months to diagnois my panic attacks but 2 weeks after starting ativan I was able to return to stores that I had experienced attacks in before. I was almost totally house bound because of the dread of having an attack in public. I realize I will be on this medication for life but the ability to function as normal as possible is definitely worth it. Before starting ativan I tried several other medications which had severe side effects. This is the only medication that works for me.