Ativan User Reviews

Ativan - User Reviews

Ativan User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Ativan sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Goldenrocker, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 30

My Dr.put me on Ativan 12 years ago for anxiety.I was taking 2mg.4xs a day.I was never told you can become addicted to this drug.I have a new psychiatrist who filled me in about Ativan.I signed myself into the County hospital to be taken off of it.I am fully recovered now,2 weeks later.I have not felt this good in years.I am now wide eyed and present in my life.I missed out on years being unknowingly drugged up.Please keep yourself informed of the effects of this drug.It was the cause of my panic attacks the last year I was on it!

Comment from: bugsyandhoney, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 11

I was an alcoholic for 15 years. I quit with the help of ativan.I have learned from myself I had anxiety problems, that is why I drank, to cope. I have been taking this drug, 0.5 in the morning if needed and 0.5 in the evening if I have problems sleeping.I still have panic attacks ans periods of anxiety. Dr.'s tried to put me on prozac, didnt work, I quit that real fast, They tried effexor, that was a scare, that did not work. And now zoloft. I did not feel the need to sleep at night., sort of a zombie effect. this ativan has helped me function perfect with no symptoms of anxious feelings. I just wish they can come up with a daily dosage like a timed released pill, so I can take it once a day.

Related Reading: prozac | effexor | zoloft

Comment from: lollielox, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 22

I was prescribed this drug, to help control my panic attacks, and help to 'calm' my mood. Overall, I feel this drug did what it was prescribed for.

Comment from: Regretful, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 02

to those who think this is NOT addictive, I say haha...try running out of the stuff for a few days & see how you feel. I rely on a mail-order service for my prescriptions & my Ativan refill was "lost in the mail" for a week. During the dreadful cold turkey stage I gradually got numb & trembling extremities and trembling lower jaw. I was convinced I had Lou Gehrigs Disease; I was convinced that if I got in my car to go to the ER I would get in an accident & die also. Finally called a friend to take me to ER where they gave me a shot of Ativan & a temporary supply to last until my refill arrived. It doesn't help my anxiety at all but I can't stop taking it due to the horrible withdrawl side effects.

Comment from: Mailroommary, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I suffer from anxiety and was given Ativan "as needed". I didn't take it every day and thought I was doing ok. One day at work I became very angry and thought I should try taking it daily instead of as needed. Boy, was it a life saver. My doctor agrees. I take 1 mg twice daily and I feel normal for the first time in my life. I can go outside, get on a bus, shop, etc. and not have to think about it for a while first. I just jump in the car (or bus) and go. It's wonderful having such a "normal" life. Before, other drugs like Paxil or Zoloft made things worse for me. I felt suicidal at times so I stopped them.

Related Reading: Paxil

Comment from: holmar, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 12

First of all, I noticed that no matter what, when you comment on this, it starts with the anxiety section, so I said it was anxiety. This drug is a nightmare yet a wonder drug at the same time. I started taking it because I have multiple sclerosis and had muscle spasms. That was 6 years ago. I NEVER had anxiety before then. It worked for the muscle spasms when nothing else would. I tried neurontin (hallucinated), as well as all the muscle relaxants which just didn't touch it. I knew this was a scary drug because my mother was a counselor and the doctor switched her from ativan (lorazepam) to ambien. She began going through severe withdrawals. She hallucinated, shook and had seizures. They thought she was psychotic (she was and I tried to tell them why but they wouldn't listen), they put her on the psychiatric ward and gave her haldol. Then she began to twitch and couldn't walk, half her face hung down (tardive dyskinesia). They were ready to put her in a mental institution. I begged them to listen to me, and even tried to sneak in ativan but I got caught. She almost died before they gave her ativan. Then she was back to normal. It was truly a nightmare. She had to move her practice to a different town. She was so humiliated. So, when I started taking it 6 years ago for my back, I was really careful. Since then, and now I only take .5 to 1 mg at bedtime. I went on a trip and forgot it. I thought I would be fine. By day 2 it was me this time. I couldn't think, I was having horrible anxiety, and was scared out of my mind. I drank a beer (I heard that helps a little), and it did some, but not enough. Finally I got the ativan and I got better. Turns out, it doesn't matter how little you take, it's how long you take it. Yes, it works wonders, but make sure you never run out, and if you start to have anxiety before your next dose, remember, it CAUSES anxiety too. Just be very careful. Dont take too much and let yourself run out. Itcanbefatal